Eggs and more Q & A

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crandal, Nov 22, 2016.

1. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

I wash all my DUCK eggs... Chicken eggs I don't unless I am selling them [​IMG]

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I dont wash either until just before I use them or give them to someone else. Unless they got poopy on. Then I wash right away

3. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

ALL my duck eggs are always really dirty... I have 12 ducks and 2 geese in the same house, so that prolly contributes to it [​IMG]

4. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I get about 50% clean each time

5. crandal

crandal Out Of The Brooder

Wow I completely agree. Doesn't matter how hard I try it's like they take them outside find the closest mud puddle and play matchbox monster truck rally with the dam things before putting them in nest lol

1 person likes this.
  6. crandal

crandal Out Of The Brooder

You two are funny. At least I know my ducks aren't doing all that to just me.

7. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yep and inside too.

9. halimak1

halimak1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2016
    North Alabama
    In my limited experience, the yolk thickness is really dependent on the freshness. We use raw eggs in our homemade ice-cream and we have to use eggs at least a week old or older. Otherwise the fresher eggs hold together more and make yellow streaks.

10. halimak1

halimak1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2016
    North Alabama
    I rinse/wash mine with luke warm water and a gentle rag just to get the poop and dirt off (trying to leave the bloom). I also refrigerate them, mainly because I have teeny counters. I do share many and they are more appealing this way. Although, I do educate those I give eggs to, to get in the habit of washing eggs before use, just as one would with any other fresh produce. Seeing that salmonella primarily resides on the shell, it is just a matter of trying to bring food quality control back into the hands of the consumer.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by