Eggs and more Q & A

I wash all my DUCK eggs... Chicken eggs I don't unless I am selling them
big_smile.png

I collect my eggs and if they are filthy [duck usually] I wash and store in the frig, if they are clean I still store in the frig but don't wash till I use them if there is dirt on them.Chicken, duck and goose

Hey no one has dirty duck eggs but me? and mine gets clean out shavings daily and  some of their eggs still get pretty nasty.  :/ {I think they do it on purpose}

Wow I completely agree. Doesn't matter how hard I try it's like they take them outside find the closest mud puddle and play matchbox monster truck rally with the dam things before putting them in nest lol

Wait,. You just collect them from the coop and store on counter? For how long are they good to keep at room temp on counter? Also does keeping them at room temp help with the yolk thickness. My duck eggs seem to have really thick yolks that don't break apart and mix easily when I make scrambled eggs?
In my limited experience, the yolk thickness is really dependent on the freshness. We use raw eggs in our homemade ice-cream and we have to use eggs at least a week old or older. Otherwise the fresher eggs hold together more and make yellow streaks.

I rinse/wash mine with luke warm water and a gentle rag just to get the poop and dirt off (trying to leave the bloom). I also refrigerate them, mainly because I have teeny counters. I do share many and they are more appealing this way. Although, I do educate those I give eggs to, to get in the habit of washing eggs before use, just as one would with any other fresh produce. Seeing that salmonella primarily resides on the shell, it is just a matter of trying to bring food quality control back into the hands of the consumer.

Back
Top Bottom