EGGS ARE HATCHING--3 fuzzybutts-Hatch Ended

Buttercup Chillin

Songster
11 Years
Oct 27, 2008
SouthEast TX
Ok, I'm New to Duckies, Muscovies actually. We have an Unheated Aviary Tarped Duck House. Momma and Auntie started a Large Clutch and day 35 is Thursday. Noticed today that 2 eggs have slight cracks starting and Mom and Auntie both bathed today. For the past 2 weeks they have alternated days of bathing. It will again freeze tonight so I put up a Blue 85 watt Flood Light for light and a bit of warmth to help them stay warm for the duckings if they start hatching.

Do you think the low light and wattage is necessary? I think they are getting ready to settle in for a few days. Mr Drake is nervous like a Daddy about to be, he couldn't decide if he was roosting inside or staying out in the run... He's in.

I really want them to take care of all those little ones. I really don't want to bring the Ducklings in the house if Mom/Auntie will take care of them outside. But, we are to have at least the next 3 nights of freezing with 40's day time, hopefully. (We are just north of Houston). Imagine that Mommy decided to have her first cluch due on the coldest days of the past 19 years.

Last edited:
I think you are wonderful to add the extra light. but once they are born they will work their way back under the mommy and Aunt to keep warm...but better safe than sorry. I wish more ppl. were that considerate.

Hahaha....i had no idea that mommy and auntie were the ducks' names, I thought you were actually talking about your mom and aunt....and when you said "Mom and Auntie both bathed today" I was like, okay thats weird...

Be sure to keep a close eye on them when the babies start to hatch. I have a friend with Muscovies and she has had her ducks fight over the babies (they ended up killing them
sad.png
) & It would totally suck if the both left the nest(s?) before they were all hatched.

good luck & please post pics!
fl.gif

I think it's a good idea to add the extra heat. Depending on how large of a clutch, even with two moms, if one does get pushed out, then the extra heat might make a difference. TX may be warm but if you are getting freezing temps. (32 or lower) That added heat isn't going to hurt them at all. I'd watch the drake though. Scovy drakes seem to get a bit jealous of those "babies." Even if they are the only drake around, they figure that once the girls are off the nest they should want to breed & the ducklings just better get out of the way. You may have to keep the drake separated for a few days - week, till the ducklings are a bit older or at least keep a close watch on him for a few days till you know how he's handling being 2nd to those babies.

Mr Drake was basking under the light this morning, which is close to Mommie and Auntie, so I'm sure they were all toasty warm. No ice around the water bowl this morning inside their Duck House. I was concerned that both Mommy/Auntie bathed and might chill during the night while sitting on their eggs. But come to think of it. they were probably trying to raise the humidity, this cold air is dry.

I will watch Mr Drake, but am not to concerned, he is very good with his girls. He herds them back to the eggs if he thinks they are staying away to long. He won't let Snow White, his other girl anywhere near the Clutches. She is also Broody but I have not let her keep any eggs, now she has stopped laying. I am sure she would step right in if one of the other Ducks left the ducklets. I also have a brooder house (full of chicks right now) that I could make room for them if need be, once they are a little older. But I really need them to raise their own. Mr Drake could live in the Hen house if Need be but I would fear for the Hens.

We'll see what happens, there was 4 ducks and Mr. Drake chased one off. She turned out to be a Mule, no eggs. So we'll see if they are Henneys or if we get little fuzzy butts. Every time I count its different, 45 at one time in a giant trough. I removed 10-12 bad eggs ( turning Black), over time. Now I count from 16 - 24, I know there were 2 layers and 2 nests. They were rotating and exchanging eggs up until last week. They would bring the Blackening eggs to the top edge of the nest for me to dispose of.

They are Determined. This morning Mommie moved her eggs to Aunties nest ( in the back, protected by the new board that blocks wind etc coming in the pop door). Just now I looked and Mommie is sitting on the eggs and Auntie I believe is sitting on an empty nest, she won't budge an inch to let me see. Tonight starts the long Freeze here and they are do to hatch anytime.

Maybe Mommies going to hatch them and Auntie gets to keep them warm? Or Auntie is on guard duty? This morning Mr Drake was under the light but in front of the pop door and in front of the girls area of the Duck House.

None of the ducks left to roam the yard. Mommie and Auntie ate a bit of Grower food I had left for the ducklings and totally scarfed down a whole pie pan of Scratch. I refilled the Scratch pan this morning and then Mr Drake and Snow White scarfed. When it comes to scratch Snow White is not allowed to eat until Mommie and Auntie eat, Mr Drake has been adament about that these past 6 weeks. No one is eating the layer food. I'll put it in the run tomorrow away from little beaks.

Can You tell, I'm starting to get excited. I hope I'm not disappointed. Mommie has sat her eggs sooooo long. She started haphazardly sitting just before Thanksgiving but would get off the nest for several hours. Dec 3rd she got serious. I'm going to make Banana Jam, that will keep me occupied for a few hours then I'll check on them.

Mommie brooded right for Scovies. They typically will sit mostly at night until they are ready to really brood. That's when you start the 34-35 day count. Scovies seem to take FOREVER......
roll.png
but they are SO worth the wait.
fl.gif
you have a great hatch!!! Post pic's when Mommie lets you see them. Ducklings are the cutiest!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom