Eggs Are Here! First hatched chick!!! HELP?!

Here are the 5 that hatched, the other 4 didn't pip. I am going to leave them in over night and see if there is anything. How long should I wait before tossing?

Bubble butt was ok, she/he absorbed it with no problem

43752_dsc01008.jpg

43752_dsc01032.jpg

Bubble butt is the one on the right, the other 4 are un-named atm LOL
I have a 7 yr old who is working hard on trying to find names for them all though!

I would leave them in overnight at least.Are they all blue laced red wyndottes or is 1 a welsummer? Looks like 2 of them are splashes and 2 are blues is my guess.
smile.png
well maybe three splashes and 1 blue and 1 welsummer? The will be cute what ever they are.

Last edited:
4 BLRW and 1 wellie.

I am thinking at least 2 splash, one blue and maybe 1 black. one has darker fluff, that one i am guessing is a black. I hope they are all splash or blue, but I am telling myself black so that if it turns out blue I will have a happy surprise!

Once I got these guys out I heard a wellie in the bator peeping, so I think I will have atleast one more pip!

Quote:
You want have a black laced orpington.I breed blues to splashes so thats all you will get.The only way to get black is to breed black to blue or blue to blue.I bet it will be a dark blue which is what alot of people prefer.I hope you enjoy them for years.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Woohoo! I will enjoy them! Thank you, can't wait to see what they will feather out to. I have a broody orph that has been sitting on 6 eggs, I am going to see if I can get her to adopt these chicks and put her eggs in the incubator to finish their hatch. We will be selling her chicks to a neighbor, so trying to cut down on having to run the heat light if I can.

I am going to make the switch today and watch her for a few hours to see how she treats them.

The last eggie in the bator piped this morning, still in there moving and chirping but hasn't made much progress. Do you think if I put that last one under the broody it will have better chances of hatching out? I was going to wrap it in a warm moist paper towel to take it out to the coop before I put it under the hen. I was thinking about put it under her when I added the chicks, so she will think that the chicks are hers too since there is one in the middle of hatching.

I am afraid with how long it is taking this last one that there might be a problem, but don't think I can intervene or that it would be the best bet over the broody.

not going to make the change until after we get back from a birthday party this afternoon, maybe around 5-6. I am hoping it will hatch out before then, but if it doesn't wondering what you thought about the switch?

Thanks for all of your help!

The last one to pip still didn't hatch when I got home, something told me to crack the egg a little to see if I could tell what happened and the chick was shrink wrapped.

It was still alive and chirping, so I carefully got it out of its shell. Did a good job, if I must say so myself, no problems. Now I have the situation where the down isn't drying soft. I think since the membrane dried to it maybe it is causing the feathers to dry stiff. I tried to rinse it as best as I could, just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions as to how to clean it?

I tried gentle running water, a soft wet sponge, all of the membrane is gone but I guess the goo is still making it stiff like.

Will this just resolve itself with time? It is chirping like crazy, I offered it some water since I didn't know if it would dehydrate quicker with the extra time spent in the shell. It didn't seem interested in it.

43752_dsc01043.jpg

Well your last one looks like its doing fairly good! Hopefully he absorbs his yolk sac
smile.png
As far as his stiff feathers, I'm sure they will "wear" clean eventually...Good job!!

yeah, there is no problem with the yoke sac. He is moving around the little box better. Tomorrow morning once he is used to walking around I am going to try and put him with the rest under the broody.

It has been 2+ hours with the others under the broody and they are doing good. They look so cute hidden under her feathers.

Back
Top Bottom