1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs are HERE Incubator hasn't even been shipped

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SusanJoM, May 1, 2008.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Ouch !!!!
    The postlady just delivered the 6 Red/Brown Ameraucana eggs that I won on eBay.
    I went and checked my charge card account, and I still haven't been charged for my 'bator from GQF (although they said it should be shipped this week...). So, remind me (because now I can't remember ANYTHING I've read over the past few weeks): what should I do with these eggs to give them the best possible chance when that 'bator finally arrives. (If they ship it tomorrow by Fed Ex, the soonest it can get here is Tuesday; FE doesn't deliver on Mondays -- at least not here). At that point the
    bator will still need to be set up, which means by Wednesday, these eggs will probably be 8 days old.

Please advise. I did a search, but the appropriate words are just not coming to me. Just kick my butt and send me in the right direction....[​IMG]

Thank you
    Susan

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    OUCH!!!

Optimum time for eggs is 7 days after that your hatch rate will start to drop. You can try to make your own bator-many threads on how-or follow my Electric skillet link to find that method if your going to end up beyond that time.

3. SusanJoM

Quote:I've been thinking about using your electric skillet method. I may have to dash over to Wal-Mart tomorrow and pick up a new one; I've been checking every few days at the Salvation Army and one hasn't shown up yet.....

What would you think of my starting them in the skillet and then moving them to the 'bator when it actually gets here???? vs. leaving them in the skillet the whole time. I had planned to set up a skillet for the hatching anyway, so that would leave that free for that part....

The 'bator, by the way is a H-B 1588 with turner...

Susan

4. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Set them in an egg carton pointed end down. Store in a cool but not cold place. Tilt eggs from side to side once per day by placing a prop under edge of carton.

5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Wow, when did you order it? I ordered mine from Cutler, they shipped it the same day and I had it the next day. Of course, I am in the same state as Cutler, but I think someone else got theirs that quick also.

I think I would give GQF a call and find out when it will be shipped for sure so you know what to do about your eggs. Also let them know you have eggs waiting because you expected the incubator by now.

6. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Is there no where you can buy an incubator locally? Just on the off chance you haven't considered this option. I don't know what you ordered or what kind of a deal you got, but since you haven't been charged, you may still be able to cancel the order. I've seen incubators at my feed store and co-op starting at about sixty dollars.

Just a thought.

Cassandra

7. SusanJoM

Quote:I've been calling. The best I was able to get from them was "hope to ship by the end of the week".

You know, they are not at fault, though. I knew better than to order eggs before the 'bator was HERE. I just got antsy and didn't want to miss those particular eggs and....took a gamble because someone had posted that hers was at her doorstep in 8 days. I did only order it 9 days ago. They are just backed up.....sigh....

Susan

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Put the eggs in an egg carton narrow end down. Store in a cool place. I've heard they are fine up to 10 days. You want to incubate them as soon as possible, especially since they were shipped(shipping weakens hatchability already).

I agree, the best chance you can give those eggs is to make a home-made bator and start setting them. Once the new bator shows up and you get the temperature and humidity stabalized it should be fine to switch the eggs from the home-made bator to the purchased one.

-Kim

9. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    You can keep the eggs for up to 7 days before setting them. After that their chances of hatching go down. Be SURE to keep the eggs cool (60-65 deg.) until you get ready to set them. I made a place to keep mine cool enough by using a small cooler and ice. I put ice in the bottom, then put a plastic bag over the ice, then a towel, and finally, the eggs in a carton. You don't need much ice in there, and the plastic keeps the eggs from getting wet. Be sure and elevate alternate ends of the carton 2 or 3 times a day. I kept a thermometer in the cooler to make sure it stayed close to the right temp. And lastly, the first thing you will read when you DO get the bator is DO NOT ORDER EGGS BEFORE YOUR INCUBATOR ARRIVES!

10. SusanJoM

Quote:Okay, well, tomorrow is going to be a rush to either find a local 'bator which will turn into my hatcher OR to get the skillet 'bator set up -- or BOTH just in case.....Oh my I am such an idjit !!!!

[​IMG]:he:he:he:he

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by