Eggs, are they warm enough?

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
We have 2 Silkies that have never really had a nest before, from what I was told. Between the two I get one egg a day.

We've had them for a week and gave them a stable home and a nest box--which they love.

One of the hens is laying on the eggs occasionally. I'm assuming she is taking the other hens eggs as well. But only SHE has the desire to sit on them. But I don't see her on them very often.

They've laid 7 eggs up to today and we also gave them 4 eggs from our neighbors, so she has a full nest.

Will these eggs be ok, or does she NEED to be on the eggs most all day?

She probably hasn't gone completely broody, and I believe getting on and off a bit for the first few days is pretty normal. My Muscovy did it a lot, and she still gets off for longer periods of time during the day when it's really warm. As long as the eggs don't get really cool, they'll probably be fine. If they are still young, she is still probably trying to figure everything out. if they are buried in some bedding, they'll retain heat for quite a while, too, so give it a few more days and see what happens.

Couple of questions - Does she screech and puff up all scary looking when you touch her while she's on the nest? And when she's off the nest, does she stay all puffed up and make a constant *boink* *boink* *boink* *boink* noise? If not, she isn't truly broody yet.

LOL. Nope she's not doing any of that.

She does seem to get glazed over when she's sitting on them.

Typically they (the chickens) don't want me to touch them when they are in the coop, but if she's on the eggs I can touch her, pull out eggs, readjust them, whatever and she just sits there.

Back
Top Bottom