Eggs arrived in the mail today and they were all STICKY!

CollieflowersBark

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2021
I mentioned this in my other thread about the eggs being lost in the mail, but I figured I should start a new thread on it since this is a separate question altogether.. My dozen eggs arrived in the mail today. None were broken. In fact, they were packed quite well! Each egg was individually bubble wrapped and placed in an egg carton, then that was bubble wrapped, then placed in a box full of peanuts.

But when I went to start taking bubble wrap off of the eggs, a bunch of them were stuck to the wrap! There was no fluid on the eggs, no visible seepage, and no discoloration. But that thin, dry-ish sticky film had me peeling bubble wrap off sooo carefully. On some, there is even a clear imprint on the egg where the bubblewrap left marks.

Some of them kind of stuck to my fingers a little bit as I was putting them in the incubator. It's like something got spilled all over them.

I want to say "do I need to remove the sticky ones" but it was almost the whole dozen that had it!

To note, some of the eggs are VERY grimy with dirt and poo. Could it be something to do with that?

Last edited:
I will definitely let you guys know how it goes! I took a very small peek earlier and one of the stickier eggs doesn't APPEAR to be cracked on the outside, but it has gooey beads all over it and it is FULL of bubbles. I figure it must have some micro-fissures. I threw it out.

I have bought eggs on eBay. Oh what a waste I didn't get but 1 chick too.
I suppose one chick is better than none, but I ended up with more than I had originally wanted because I set some other eggs at the same time just to make sure any hatchlings from the shipped eggs had companions - and the non-shipped eggs hatched very well, of course. 😄

Back
Top Bottom