Eggs at 14 days - would appreciate input

Eggscaping

Enjoying Life!
Dec 4, 2018
Lakeside, Oregon
These are my SFH eggs at 14 days. Since this is the first time I have ever tried to hatch eggs, and also because they were shipped, I'd invite anyone with more knowledge than I have to comment. Are they...anywhere near what they should look like? I do see movement inside most of them. They are not white eggs, so it's a little hard to see. Also, do the air cells look too small...to big? Thank you.

Attachments

• 20200416_235900.jpg
    20200416_235900.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200402_141507.jpg
    20200402_141507.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200402_141520.jpg
    20200402_141520.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200402_141532.jpg
    20200402_141532.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200402_141542.jpg
    20200402_141542.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200402_141551.jpg
    20200402_141551.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200402_141600.jpg
    20200402_141600.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200402_141610.jpg
    20200402_141610.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 10
Candle through the air cell, but do not flip the egg to do so! Shipped eggs have damaged and very fragile air cells, and should be kept upright (fat end up). This looks like the type of candler that forces you to candle the egg upside down (fat end down) to look through the air cell. See if you can find something else to candle with - your phone's flashlight, or a regular flashlight, but the more powerful, the better. Or get a handheld candler that you can position on top of the egg at the air cell. I agree with everybody else on the pictures though - only the first one looks like it has development in it, but it's hard to tell if it looks on track from this picture, because it's being candled from the pointy end and you can't see the air cell.

For comparison, here's one of my eggs, candled from the top through the air cell, at day 15.
IMG_5536.jpg

Thanks so much for all your help. Tonight, I put the eggs, one by one, into an empty egg carton and held the candler on the top...the pointy part. I also smelled them, closely. None have a smell at all, and most of them had a dark blob inside that moved.
I think the thing I have difficulty with is holding the candler, keeping the egg from falling over, and taking a picture. I have to use 2 hands to hold the cell phone and push the picture button. I can try again tomorrow night when Boots is up. She goes to bed much earlier than I.
Here are questions I have. My incubator has the eggs laying on their sides in little plastic railings that move back and forth so the eggs turn back and forth...on their sides. So, which end is the air cell supposed to end up in when they get closer to hatching...when they go into lockdown they will be in the same incubator, so they'll still be on their sides. How does the air cell get to the right place? Does it just migrate? And once they aren't being turned by the turner thing, don't they just stay on their side? How does the air cell get to whichever end it's supposed to be at? Am I supposed to do something at 18 days to 'pose' them some way or another?
Really, though, there are large blobs inside that visibly move, and sometimes I can make out a little foot...so I'm encouraged again!

Thanks so much for all your help. Tonight, I put the eggs, one by one, into an empty egg carton and held the candler on the top...the pointy part. I also smelled them, closely. None have a smell at all, and most of them had a dark blob inside that moved.
I think the thing I have difficulty with is holding the candler, keeping the egg from falling over, and taking a picture. I have to use 2 hands to hold the cell phone and push the picture button. I can try again tomorrow night when Boots is up. She goes to bed much earlier than I.
Here are questions I have. My incubator has the eggs laying on their sides in little plastic railings that move back and forth so the eggs turn back and forth...on their sides. So, which end is the air cell supposed to end up in when they get closer to hatching...when they go into lockdown they will be in the same incubator, so they'll still be on their sides. How does the air cell get to the right place? Does it just migrate? And once they aren't being turned by the turner thing, don't they just stay on their side? How does the air cell get to whichever end it's supposed to be at? Am I supposed to do something at 18 days to 'pose' them some way or another?
Really, though, there are large blobs inside that visibly move, and sometimes I can make out a little foot...so I'm encouraged again!
I think it's strange they all look clear in your picture except the one. If they all look similar in development to that one, I guess they are fine.

As to the aircell, it's not supposed to move. It is attached to the fat end of the egg. Sometimes shipping jostles them loose and makes them weird shapes. In an ideal world you would have incubated them fat end up. It's too late to change that now. The cards will land where they may. At the start of lock down, put them in egg cartons fat side up in the incubator and hope for the best. Some people cut down the cartons so there is more airflow but I'm not convinced it makes much of a difference. They can get out of the eggs positioned like that.

Back
Top Bottom