Eggs at different stages of development help!!

chickhatch

Chirping
Jul 22, 2022
hi, I have a broody hen hatching 4 fertile eggs, she went broody in the communal coop where I left her for about 13 days maybe 15, along that time she must have adopted some of the other chicken's eggs as her own. I have since moved her to her own area. as I was candling to be sure with eggs had developed I noticed one egg seemed nearly fully developed and one other not far behind, I then candled 2 more eggs but I was struck with the fact these two eggs were at quite early stages of development maybe around day 5-7. my question is whether or not my plan will work or whether there is a better plan. note I do have an incubator if that is an option but I haven't had great success with it in the Past. what I was thinking is that I have two other broody hens one that is quite keen about it and I was wondering whether once the first two chicks hatch whether I should move the eggs under the other broody hen and let her sit the rest of the days out and hatch the eggs, I suppose I want to know whether that would even work or whether someone else has some better ideas thank you.?!?!

hi, I have a broody hen hatching 4 fertile eggs, she went broody in the communal coop where I left her for about 13 days maybe 15, along that time she must have adopted some of the other chicken's eggs as her own. I have since moved her to her own area. as I was candling to be sure with eggs had developed I noticed one egg seemed nearly fully developed and one other not far behind, I then candled 2 more eggs but I was struck with the fact these two eggs were at quite early stages of development maybe around day 5-7. my question is whether or not my plan will work or whether there is a better plan. note I do have an incubator if that is an option but I haven't had great success with it in the Past. what I was thinking is that I have two other broody hens one that is quite keen about it and I was wondering whether once the first two chicks hatch whether I should move the eggs under the other broody hen and let her sit the rest of the days out and hatch the eggs, I suppose I want to know whether that would even work or whether someone else has some better ideas thank you.?!?!
Your plan should work out well. We had a lot of broodies this spring/summer and had laying girls constantly adding to the clutch. I had marked the set eggs so removed any 'extra' eggs. However, at one point we had a few broodies going and they 'stole' each others eggs so hatch rates were off. I would let a broody hatch her chicks and if there was an egg that was vital but abandoned, i'd move it under another broody. Our hens attempted to hatch remaining eggs for maybe another 12-48 hours after the first chick, but after that they'd focus on raising the hatched chicks and abandon the unhatched eggs.

Your plan should work out well. We had a lot of broodies this spring/summer and had laying girls constantly adding to the clutch. I had marked the set eggs so removed any 'extra' eggs. However, at one point we had a few broodies going and they 'stole' each others eggs so hatch rates were off. I would let a broody hatch her chicks and if there was an egg that was vital but abandoned, i'd move it under another broody. Our hens attempted to hatch remaining eggs for maybe another 12-48 hours after the first chick, but after that they'd focus on raising the hatched chicks and abandon the unhatched eggs.
thanks so much for your advice, I will update if I remember too.

Back
Top Bottom