Eggs Blue on The Inside? Celadon Genetics?

Just bought a homozygot Celadon roo ...
of course I gotta trust. But the Lady selling it, made an absolute trustfull impression to me.

And look at this beautiful boy 😍
(This pic is from the breeder Lady)
Screenshot_20200509-193913.png

As my eggs hatch I’m noticing my blue eggs don’t seem to be blue inside, and my speckled eggs also don’t. So maybe blue inside is a totally different gene or interaction of genes.

I’ll post pics of my eggs when the chicks move to the brooder, only a few have hatched so far, maybe the rest will be blue inside.

He’s really beautiful almost reminds me of a dove, I wonder what his chicks will look like.

Me too.
I have integrated him for now to my Tibetan/Rosetta/Tuxedo group, in lack of known Celadon splitter or pure Celadon hens.
Will be interessting, as dark and silver are both dominant genes. I don't know if one is more dominant as the other or if both are interacting intermediate.

Nevertheless I established the contact permenatly to the hobby breeder lady, as she wants to exchance birds to keep inbreed low.

Win win 😎

Me too.
I have integrated him for now to my Tibetan/Rosetta/Tuxedo group, in lack of known Celadon splitter or pure Celadon hens.
Will be interessting, as dark and silver are both dominant genes. I don't know if one is more dominant as the other or if both are interacting intermediate.

Nevertheless I established the contact permenatly to the hobby breeder lady, as she wants to exchance birds to keep inbreed low.

Win win 😎
If you were near me I would give you a blue layer when mine grow, but it looks like you are far across the ocean :(

My hatched eggs did all turn out to be blue on the inside, once I cleared the membrane and looked. Even the spotty ones were blue inside. I banded the spotty egg chicks but 3 of 4 lost their bands. One is still banded and one had curled toes on one leg and the leg is also deformed. I fixed his foot as best as possible but the leg is crooked so he walks funny. I can only identify 2 spotty egg chicks to track if they lay blue. But 2 is better than none haha.

It’s my understanding that a female who is het for celadon can lay eggs blue on the inside. This means she has 1 copy of the celadon gene, and 2 copies make them lay blue. I’ve also heard that not all hets are blue inside layers, so the white inside ones could also be from hets. I don’t know what the percentage of hets with blue inside shells is, it’s hard to find info, a lot of people give conflicting info. I’ve been curious, and received 30 blue eggs and 6 believed to be blue inside. I have them incubating, and I’m going to try to band them with different colors to track their progeny. The 6 regular spotted eggs, based on photos and other eggs I’ve seen at the grocery store, seem to have a faint bluish hue. Like they’re foggy looking not crisp brown spots.

If your rooster came from a blue egg(inside and out) he will be a carrier at bare minimum. To know for sure you would breed him to a blue layer and if 100% of hens produced lay blue, he has 2 copies.

Laying of blue eggs only tells you the hen is carrying 2 copies of celadon, if the sire rooster was het, the chick in the blue egg will have a 50% chance of being just a carrier vs. full.

this could be totally wrong, I spent a bunch of time looking into celadon before I bought eggs, and I read so many ebay descriptions, website articles I followed from who knows where, but I did see several accounts of people claiming eggs with internally blue shells are layed by hens carrying the gene.
Love that u said that cuz the button quail eggs i got 2 were cracked during shipment so i opened them before i tossed them and they were celadon inside and its funny cuz 1 just 1 egg is celadon outside which i am incubating so if the shell is blue inside too that means its a bare minimum carrier if male but what if female just wait to see if she lays blue every egg ?

This is
Love that u said that cuz the button quail eggs i got 2 were cracked during shipment so i opened them before i tossed them and they were celadon inside and its funny cuz 1 just 1 egg is celadon outside which i am incubating so if the shell is blue inside too that means its a bare minimum carrier if male but what if female just wait to see if she lays blue every egg ?
the eBay seller I bought from told me this, I also saw people online say this, but idk if it’s true, as I grow out a few generations I’m sure I’ll see how accurate it is.

Back
Top Bottom