Eggs, but no egg song...

radiodog

Songster
10 Years
Jan 1, 2010
Summerfield NC
Ive read about the egg song, but my hens dont do this. Plus they generally lay in the afternoon and they ALL share the same nest. There are more than one nest in the coup..but I always find white, brown, pink & green eggs together in just the one nest. Its a delight but I cant figure out why just the one nest. And I wanna hear the egg song!

Well, hens are strange creatures, I'm learning. They lay where and when they want to lay, regardless of how much effort we go to to provide them the perfect nest box! I have nest boxes and most of the hens use them, but I have a few who continue to lay on the poop board (grrrrrr) and a few lay their eggs under the nest boxes, and occassionally I find one outside.

I don't know why your gal's aren't "singing the egg song" - it is fun to hear but CAN get very, very loud when they all chime in. Just tell yourself that at LEAST your hens are laying - some folks would KILL for that with or without the singing!!!
ya.gif

Mine only sing when someone's in the nest that girls wants- It's really a, "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!! I gotta laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!" song!

Tell ya what.... I'll trade ya! I get screaming, wait egg song, from sun up until about 5 pm from the 7 big girls that are laying. Mostly it's all screaming at Joe for being in the nest at least 3 hours if not more
roll.png

I have 9 girls that have been laying for several months now.. I have a few that sing before they lay, a few that sing after they lay and some that don't sing at all! Some sound like they are announcing the 'arrival' of royalty and other sound like they might be singing to a sleeping baby! I have four nest boxes, some days all 7-8 eggs are in one box.. the next day they might be in to different boxes. Some lay in the morning, some lay at noon, some don't lay until 4 or 5pm!

Before I got my chickens, I believed w/ all my being: 1. That the girls would all lay in the early morning.
2. That all hens sang the egg sound, loud, clear and after the egg had been laid
3. That you needed 1 nest box per 2 hens

Getting the idea???
gig.gif
They are all different--even w/in the same breed--nobody has the same routine, timing, idea of what we humans want/need... I guess they have different books than we do!

Don't give up on hearing the egg song. My girls have been laying for about a month now and I thought they were just quiet layers. Then, yesterday, one of the girls decided to "sing". Scared the *&^% out of me for a minute until I realized what she was doing. Of course the funny thing was, she was singing for one of the other girls that was quietly laying an egg in the nest box
idunno.gif
Silly girls. Have fun
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom