Eggs can be too porous? *Update*

I have a few birds that consistently lay porous eggs. I have not had any problems hatching them.

I feed a good layer ration with plenty of calcium and I also supplement them with powdered calcium in their drinking water so I know they are getting enough. So it could be a genetic predisposition not necessarily a deficiency.

Quote:
I'm not a newbie...I knew that much
gig.gif

I was saying chickens never needed oyster shells before and they've hatched out eggs for hundreds and hundreds of years. I consider hatching the same as reproducing. I just worded it different than others would have is all

Well, maybe all the hens over the ages had real thin shells then or just ate their own eggs!....lol

Calcium is available in many sources in nature. Bones, vegetation, calcium deposits in rocks and water etc. Fowl/Chickens in nature eat far more natural sources for their dietary and nutritonal needs. Wild chickens and fowl do not depend on commercial feeds to give them what they need. They search it out in nature.

Out of 4 d'Uccle eggs.... the Large pored egg I had was the only one to hatch! I certainly wouldn't throw any out because of the pores!

I'm not planning on throwing them out. She's only on day 3 and all of my hens (4 different breeds, 23 hens) are laying very porous eggs so I can't change them out anyway. We'll see what happens.

Maybe it's my lack of candling experience and to me it just looks like there's a lot of pores???? I don't know.
hu.gif

Hi!
Is there a chance what you are seeing is not porosity in the actual shell, but mottling in the coating / coloring of the egg that isn't visible until you candle?
I've seen lots of 'spotty' eggs when candling and have tried poking the shell with an needle in the light spots (pores) and the shell doesn't seem to be any thinner there.
My thought was: if it was porous, the shell should be thinner there.
Since it doesn't seem to be and the eggs hatch just fine, the spotting must be something else.

Good luck with your hatch!
smile.png

Lisa

Ok here's picture of an egg, not one of the ones she sitting on. The picture is terrible but you may be able to see what I'm talking about.

DSC01607.jpg

Southern28Chick, do you mean an egg like this one? I get them all the time too. I don't know why either. They get layer ration, egg shells, and oster shells.
100_1041.jpg

Back
Top Bottom