eggs due to hatch in 3 days

Mamaoflots

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 3, 2013
Hi there,

We are due two chicks(we hope) , we have a heat lamp ready to go. My question is what size box do we need to start off with? Presumably only small? Should the box be plastic, wooden or cardboard? We have enough of all to be able to use whatever is needed. Should the heat cover all the box, or should the heat just be in one area?

Many thanks

Hi there ..

Congrats on your babies :) It's so exciting to get new chicks isn't it? I hope your hatch goes well. As far as the brooder goes.. you can use plastic, cardboard, or wooden. I have used all three. Those Rubbermaid totes are often good brooders. My only problem with that was the chicks eventually got smart enough to fly out so I had to cover it :) .. As far as the heat lamp goes you should have it in one area. That way if a chick gets too warm it can get away from it. Get a little thermometer and put it in the brooder to monitor the temp. The temperature should be 90-95 degrees for the first week in the warmest part of the brooder and should be reduced by around 5 degrees each week after until the chicks get their feathers. Hope this helps!!

That's a great help. Thank you so much. We already have 4 girls who are nearly 5, but this is our first hatch. Heres hoping. My project this afternoon is getting the brooder ready now. Thanks again.

Hi there ..

Congrats on your babies :) It's so exciting to get new chicks isn't it? I hope your hatch goes well. As far as the brooder goes.. you can use plastic, cardboard, or wooden. I have used all three. Those Rubbermaid totes are often good brooders. My only problem with that was the chicks eventually got smart enough to fly out so I had to cover it :) .. As far as the heat lamp goes you should have it in one area. That way if a chick gets too warm it can get away from it. Get a little thermometer and put it in the brooder to monitor the temp. The temperature should be 90-95 degrees for the first week in the warmest part of the brooder and should be reduced by around 5 degrees each week after until the chicks get their feathers. Hope this helps!!
goodpost.gif
I don't use thermometers though, I personally think its pretty easy to tell if the chicks are too hot or too cold. If they are all huddled together under the light then they are too cold, if they won't go under the light then they are too hot. They should be pretty evenly spaced out if the temp is good. I never checked my brooder temp and I never worried about taking the temp 5* up every week either. My flock has been perfectly healthy all their 17wks so it worked for us!

I tried but the shell was too dark. So now just waiting. I spend soo long looking in the incubater trying to see if I see something that the kids are starting to moan! Aww well a couple more days.

Back
Top Bottom