Eggs feel gritty and look chalky.

It's good to learn how to read the nutrition tags on the feeds, don't just go by the flashy labeling and letters on the front of the bag, they are usually sewn into the bottom of the bag and give the percentages of nutrients like protein and calcium and others.....the ingredients should be on there too.

Also learn to read the manufacturing date, usually printed on the tape sewn into bottom of bag closure. Trickier to learn the codes that tell you the date of MFG as each company may use different codes. The fresher the feed the better, best to avoid any feed that is older than a couple months as nutrients can degrade over time. There are so many feeds available that the most popular at your store is often the freshest as it gets bought up and replaced more frequently.

It's good to learn how to read the nutrition tags on the feeds, don't just go by the flashy labeling and letters on the front of the bag, they are usually sewn into the bottom of the bag and give the percentages of nutrients like protein and calcium and others.....the ingredients should be on there too.

Also learn to read the manufacturing date, usually printed on the tape sewn into bottom of bag closure. Trickier to learn the codes that tell you the date of MFG as each company may use different codes. The fresher the feed the better, best to avoid any feed that is older than a couple months as nutrients can degrade over time. There are so many feeds available that the most popular at your store is often the freshest as it gets bought up and replaced more frequently.
When I bought it, there was a guy helping me bc I didn't know what to get and he gave me this bag and said that I could either buy the expensive stuff or the cheap stuff but that it's all the same thing.

When I bought it, there was a guy helping me bc I didn't know what to get and he gave me this bag and said that I could either buy the expensive stuff or the cheap stuff but that it's all the same thing.
Exactly why you should learn to assess the feeds yourself,
'farm' store employees don't always know what they're talking about.

My chicken was having a gritty eggs for two days and then we found her dead yesterday. Don't know what happened. They get top feed for layers. Any answer for what could have happened? Hope your lady gets better. Mine was just 2 years old.

My chicken was having a gritty eggs for two days and then we found her dead yesterday. Don't know what happened. They get top feed for layers. Any answer for what could have happened? Hope your lady gets better. Mine was just 2 years old.
Was yours a sex link? Gritty eggs can be a sign of illness, especially respiratory.

She was not a sex link. I will have to check on my other ladies as I didn't see any illness. I am new at this and this is my first loss. Thank you so much for a heads up on what to look for in the rest.
I have had young birds just die one day. It happens. I wouldn't worry unless you see multiple birds exhibiting the same symptoms.

Now that's odd because I feed layers crumble to mine and now am just at end of bag 1 which has fed 3 chickens for 1 year(with added treats, veg, grain etc) They are completely free range in open fields for one hour every day, the remaining time spend in large pen.

They have started to lay chalky gritty eggs. But rather that having a calcium deficit as had been suggested here, one of the three has stopped laying altogether after a week of thin shell, no shell, no egg.

I have now today changed the feed to expensive pellets hoping that will improve things.

Back
Top Bottom