Eggs feel gritty and look chalky.

Newfarmer36

Songster
Dec 31, 2017
West Monroe, Louisiana
3 of my hens are laying. Everyday I go out and get them. Here lately, they've been gritty feeling and it looks like there's chalk on them. When I wash them, they look clean but as soon as they dry, they look chalky again. I'm seriously stumped on this one. Why is this happening? Thanks!

That doesn't appear to be that abnormal, not enough to change feeds IMO.

Some birds have different 'finishes' on their eggs, depending on how their shell gland functions and/or how much bloom they deposit. Some are shiny with lots of bloom, some have a matte finish.....nothing to be alarmed about.

Shelling is not all about calcium, but also other nutrients that affect how they uptake and apply the calcium to the eggs. Often shelling issues have to do with the overall diet, birds on layer feed should not get many, if any, other 'treats'.

I'm feeding them all flock with the OS on the side so they can self regulate how much calcium they get.
I do the same, it's good thing to do with multi-generational and/or multi-gendered flock (still have had 'chalky' egg layers),
but with this particular situation I don't think feed change is in order.

Calcium deposits are usually caused by too much calcium in the hens' diet, or stress and in some cases it's due to a defective shell gland. If you're feeling a good quality layer feed and no extra source of calcium, they should be fine diet-wise. Then make sure they are kept as stress free as possible.

Its a hot debate on here. Some people attribute too much calcium to liver and or kidney issues later in life, others live and die by layer feed.
Personally, I figure your dietary needs are different than mine, and since I have a bunch of different breeds and therefore sizes... I'm feeding them all flock with the OS on the side so they can self regulate how much calcium they get.

It's good to learn how to read the nutrition tags on the feeds, don't just go by the flashy labeling and letters on the front of the bag, they are usually sewn into the bottom of the bag and give the percentages of nutrients like protein and calcium and others.....the ingredients should be on there too.

Also learn to read the manufacturing date, usually printed on the tape sewn into bottom of bag closure. Trickier to learn the codes that tell you the date of MFG as each company may use different codes. The fresher the feed the better, best to avoid any feed that is older than a couple months as nutrients can degrade over time. There are so many feeds available that the most popular at your store is often the freshest as it gets bought up and replaced more frequently.

I have one that will sometimes lay from the roost. I could describe her eggs when she lays from the roost as chalky. Do you have any pics?

Back
Top Bottom