Eggs from a dead chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clemson11, Jan 18, 2009.

1. clemson11

clemson11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    UT
    I went out this morning to feed my chickens and one had died overnight (previously healthy with no symptoms). I had been getting eggs consistently and on a daily basis from this chicken.

Are the eggs still edible or should we throw them out? The eggs look completely normal but I worry about potential contamination. Any thoughts?

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Would it be possible to identify which eggs came from the hen that died or are you looking at throwing out lots of other eggs to avoid those few?

I don't really have any ideas about contamination . . .

Steve

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    The eggs should be fine as long as they're well cooked. There's really nothing I've heard of that can be transmitted to us through a COOKED egg.

4. clemson11

clemson11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    UT
    Thank you for your advice. We are just worried because my wife is pregnant and we don't want her to get sick or have it effect the baby.

The eggs we have eaten were hard boiled and they all looked just fine with no abnormalities or discolorations.

5. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Sometimes chickens just up and die. I would have no problem eating the eggs.

6. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    The title confused me, i though a dead chicken laid an egg! [​IMG]

7. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I have butchered a chicken and when I opened her up there was a egg inside her. I kept it and ate it.. I even kept and ate one that didnt have a shell around it.... it just had that cuticle thing (soft egg) no reason to waste I think! keep thtat egg and eat it just not raw!!!!make sure its well cooked!

Oh and if you are still really worried about it boil it and feed it to the hens. or if you have a dog feed it raw to them it will make thier coat shiny!!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Why take chances, wife should probably eat the others, you eat those. No biggie, I am just a belt and suspenders type! [​IMG]

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I had a dead chicken lay an egg once! She got hit by a car and died upon impact, which also forced an egg out of her that landed safely on the roadside~ unharmed. [​IMG] [​IMG] We ate it. [​IMG]

10. red star11

red star11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    Medina, Ohio
    Thats strange. i probably wouldn't eat the eggs just in case. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by