Eggs from a dead chicken

clemson11

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
UT
I went out this morning to feed my chickens and one had died overnight (previously healthy with no symptoms). I had been getting eggs consistently and on a daily basis from this chicken.

Are the eggs still edible or should we throw them out? The eggs look completely normal but I worry about potential contamination. Any thoughts?

Would it be possible to identify which eggs came from the hen that died or are you looking at throwing out lots of other eggs to avoid those few?

I don't really have any ideas about contamination . . .

Steve

The eggs should be fine as long as they're well cooked. There's really nothing I've heard of that can be transmitted to us through a COOKED egg.

Thank you for your advice. We are just worried because my wife is pregnant and we don't want her to get sick or have it effect the baby.

The eggs we have eaten were hard boiled and they all looked just fine with no abnormalities or discolorations.

The title confused me, i though a dead chicken laid an egg!
lau.gif

I have butchered a chicken and when I opened her up there was a egg inside her. I kept it and ate it.. I even kept and ate one that didnt have a shell around it.... it just had that cuticle thing (soft egg) no reason to waste I think! keep thtat egg and eat it just not raw!!!!make sure its well cooked!

Oh and if you are still really worried about it boil it and feed it to the hens. or if you have a dog feed it raw to them it will make thier coat shiny!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Why take chances, wife should probably eat the others, you eat those. No biggie, I am just a belt and suspenders type!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom