Eggs from Her REAL Soon? Here's Holly

S.C. too bad you aren't closer, or I'd get you one for your very own, girl! Their feathers are super soft, aren't they? I never think to tell people that, but they really are satiny. I loved to pet Lexie right after her molt finished when all those beautiful new soft feathers came in again.

What a beautiful girl!
smile.png

I have a soft spot for barred rocks, anyway. How do you rate McMurray's barred rocks? That's where I've gotten mine, and they didn't even have any this time for me. My chick order comes in 3 weeks, and is barred rockless. Rats.

I'll bet that lovely Holly lays soon!
smile.png

I'm not sure I remember this right, but her mama is second or third generation-removed from McMurray stock-is that right Kate? Or is there a chance she is Lexie's granddaughter? Kate (helmstead) has some of my Lexie's daughters in with her rooster, who I believe was from McMurray. My Lexie and Ivy both came from Ideal and I would say, although Lexie is better quality in some ways than Ivy, I think perhaps the McMurray Barred Rocks I've seen are a bit better than Ideal's. That being said, neither are exceptional quality, in general, if you're looking for anything more than utiltiy quality laying hens, IMO. Lexie is very small for a standard BR and Ivy's barring is really terrible-she looks more like a Cuckoo Marans hen than a BR, except for the yellow legs.

I like Charlotte, too. Remember, I had a lavender guinea named Charlotte and missed her when I had to rehome the Fearsome Foursome. Since my blue Ameraucana reminded me of the lavender color, it just seemed a fitting name to reuse. NOW, I have three little Buff Orpingtons and when I figure out which one/ones are the pullets, I will name the first one "Nugget" in honor of your sweet Nugget you lost. Figure it suits her, as in "gold nugget".

Back
Top Bottom