Eggs getting squished. Any ideas?

eggsrcool

Sussex Fanatic
10 Years
May 18, 2009
England, United Kingdom
Hi,

My hens are laying their eggs in the nest boxes, but when another hen goes into lay, it appears that the egg gets squashed. The shells are hard, the are not soft. This has been going on a few days now, I just checked and an egg has been squashed by a hen who is laying. There is sufficient bedding, so they wont crack. There is no egg eating.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Is this a small breed's egg getting squashed by a Jersey Giant?

If not, I would think that the shells aren't thick enough yet. Perhaps you have new layers that need extra time to mature or need calcium supplements like oyster shell?

I was having similar issues with standard 12-inch by 12-inch nest boxes with straw on the bottom. The hens didn't have enough room. I switched to using jumbo sized covered cat litter boxes with straw on the bottom and have not had anymore squished eggs unless the shell is really, really thin.

MB

Thanks for your replies. I dont have jersey giants- the eggs are getting laid by standard size birds and getting squished by standard size birds.

I checked earlier- they eggs are NOT getting squished they are getting eaten. Filled an egg with mustard, now I have to wait and see...

I hope the mustard egg works! You can also leave fake stone or wooden eggs in the nest to help deter eating eggs. I guess they can't tell the difference easily.

Back
Top Bottom