eggs got cold on 20th day during lockdown!!! Please help

Mustafa Aamir

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2020
hi, please help anybody, today was my 20th day.... tommorow is the hatch date. i have around 15 Australorp and 15 Rir eggs in a semi-automatic incubator. at night, around 1:50 am i last checked the eggs (I know ot late i should have been sleeping 😆😆). Anyways they were all good at that time. HOWEVER... when i woke up today at around 10 pm... i saw that due to short circuiting! the heating element in the incubator got turned off,,, AND the fan inside the the incubator was still on ( it is a current air incubator). the temperature of the inside had fallen to 20°. And whats worse is the fan was circulating cold air through out the incubator. when i candled the eggs i couldn't see anything cause it was dark. but i could see there beaks had pipped the air cell. PLEASE TELL ME THEY ARE NOT DEAD. i couldn't see any movement cause of the darkness but i am very worried. also since then 2 eggs have pipped a little but there is no further action. Please help

You should keep them warmer than 20°C though. In an emergency a 60 Watt light bulb over aluminium foil should do the job, just make sure to keep the heat even on all the eggs and use a thermometer.

I mean there's not much you can do at this point except restore the heat, don't bother them, and hope for the best. In my limited experience, I once had an egg stepped on and crushed about 28 hours before it hatched. I mean, very crushed. Anyways, I had to assist it, but it did hatch. In that same batch of eggs, sometime in the week due to hatch (but before the crushed egg incident) mom got on the wrong nest and eggs were only slightly above room temp when I found them. I think you wouldn't lose all of the eggs from this, but time will tell! Try not to worry. This wasn't your fault and things happen all the time when incubating eggs.

aww thanks for the confirmation,,are you sure?, do u have a past experience or u read it somewhere
I have my own experience and additionally know of quite some fellow breeders that forgot to close the lid of their incubators when turning or checking on the eggs. Most noticed the following morning which equals to about 10 hours.
The chicks hatched on average half a day or one day later.

Is your electricity back to normal?

This late in the game they are essentially chicks in there and can handle some minor fluctuations that they can't while building up to that point (in my opinion and experience). I think as others pointed out you may see a 1-2 day hatching delay but should be ok.

I mean there's not much you can do at this point except restore the heat, don't bother them, and hope for the best. In my limited experience, I once had an egg stepped on and crushed about 28 hours before it hatched. I mean, very crushed. Anyways, I had to assist it, but it did hatch. In that same batch of eggs, sometime in the week due to hatch (but before the crushed egg incident) mom got on the wrong nest and eggs were only slightly above room temp when I found them. I think you wouldn't lose all of the eggs from this, but time will tell! Try not to worry. This wasn't your fault and things happen all the time when incubating eggs.
thanks

I have my own experience and additionally know of quite some fellow breeders that forgot to close the lid of their incubators when turning or checking on the eggs. Most noticed the following morning which equals to about 10 hours.
The chicks hatched on average half a day or one day later.

Is your electricity back to normal?
oh, ok... and yes it is back to normal

This late in the game they are essentially chicks in there and can handle some minor fluctuations that they can't while building up to that point (in my opinion and experience). I think as others pointed out you may see a 1-2 day hatching delay but should be ok.
thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom