Eggs got cold, still hatchable?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gitlost80, Dec 18, 2010.

1. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    4 days ago I decided to let my broody hen keep her eggs to hatch.So I put a couple under her. She has been sitting on them for 4 days and keeping them hot to the touch,without much of a break. Today I went in the coop and she was sitting on a different nest and her original eggs were cold to the touch. Can I put them back under her or is it too late for these eggs?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    They might still be okay. It's definitely worth a try! [​IMG]

3. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    I'd put them under her. What are you going to lose? Its definitely worth a shot. I think they will be ok. Good luck.

4. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Our power went out last night for about 8 hours. The incubator hit and stayed at room temp (63 degrees) for the last few hours before power was restored.

I candled my eggs this afternoon after getting the incubator recovered and expected dead embryos in the chicken eggs.

Boy was I wrong!

I have two chicken eggs that are still viable! Very active chicks inside the eggs!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I say go for it! Mother nature can be forgiving! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  5. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    My broody has done this a few times, the first time I was lucky enough to get there while the eggs were still warm,
    the 2nd time, I was not as lucky.. the eggs were pretty cold to the touch. I put the broody back on them, and crossed my fingers.

Went out that evening with my candler ( a 6 LED flashlight, very bright ) and all of the eggs (except for one that wasn't fertile) were doing fine.

hope that helps you a little. I am no expert either, this is my first broody. loaded her up on the 4th, so hoping for a Christmas day hatch.
    ( I didn't tell my son about it just in case she doesn't hatch anything.... But I will be crushed .. hehehe

6. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    I would mark the eggs before I put them back under her. That way you can track weither they hatch or not.

7. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    I did mark them with an x so I could tell them apart from the rest. I couldnt help myself and made my own styrofoam incubator today also. Just built it, now I gotta go read up on how to hatch eggs...as if i wasnt already obsessed enough with Chicken business!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by