Eggs hatching days apart

Now you can’t separate them. Lol

It’s a good thing I wasn’t planning to anyways. I’m aiming to keep the Fayoumi, the one Welsummer and the Langshan. All of them are mixes but I say what they are by the hens breed. For the other chicks, my dad’s friend is taking them once their coop is done so at least they will be nearby.

I have had hatched that spanned days 19-22, but something was not right. Hatching on day 19 probably means at least part of your incubator is too warm. The wide range of hatch dates indicates the temperature may not be consistent throughout. The hot spots will cause early hatching; the cool spots late hatching with possible developmental defects or death during or after hatching or no hatching at all. After the hatch is done, try putting a reliable thermometer at various points near and far from the heat source. You may need to take the inconsistency into account when you hatch again. I only hatch 18 eggs at a time even though my incubator can hold 40+. I also rotate eggs so they all get a chance at the warmest spots.

I remove chicks as soon as I see they’ve hatched. I think they are just too chaotic on the unhatched eggs. I put them in a spare incubator until everyone is hatched and dry. You do need to watch the humidity, however. A quick open and close should not impact it drastically, but it needs to be kept high, so have some sponges or some other way of adding moisture easily handy so you can toss them in to counteract the loss of moisture.

When these guys are all done I will check that the temps are consistent through out. I thought maybe the one early hatch was near the turner motor and that gave it extra heat. I’ll get a brand and model number of the incubator. The heating element makes a circle around the top of the incubator and it is a forced air.

It’s a good thing I wasn’t planning to anyways. I’m aiming to keep the Fayoumi, the one Welsummer and the Langshan. All of them are mixes but I say what they are by the hens breed. For the other chicks, my dad’s friend is taking them once their coop is done so at least they will be nearby.

Oh that’s good. :)

When these guys are all done I will check that the temps are consistent through out. I thought maybe the one early hatch was near the turner motor and that gave it extra heat. I’ll get a brand and model number of the incubator. The heating element makes a circle around the top of the incubator and it is a forced air.
I was a little disappointed when I tried a forced air incubator. I thought it would do more for those inconsistencies, but it was really lacking. I got two decent hatched, 50-75%, then one of just 4/41 eggs. That’s the one I use as a secondary one for hatched chicks now. I went back to my old still airnone.

I was a little disappointed when I tried a forced air incubator. I thought it would do more for those inconsistencies, but it was really lacking. I got two decent hatched, 50-75%, then one of just 4/41 eggs. That’s the one I use as a secondary one for hatched chicks now. I went back to my old still airnone.

That’s disappointing, I was wondering if my rooster wasn’t doing his job. Most of my eggs came from my barred rock rooster, two dozen eggs and only two made it to lock down. And all but two of the ones that didn’t were ones that never even started. Two were blood rings.

So I’m starting to think maybe the bigger one might be from my barred rock roo.

Attachments

• 1ED6001A-8BD6-418D-9C52-B7BADF85B638.jpeg
    1ED6001A-8BD6-418D-9C52-B7BADF85B638.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 9B22B022-D23F-48AB-B65A-7E7E9B3C5618.jpeg
    9B22B022-D23F-48AB-B65A-7E7E9B3C5618.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 3737D544-F770-4D42-8FF9-FD347D0F9815.jpeg
    3737D544-F770-4D42-8FF9-FD347D0F9815.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 18732EAC-A36B-4D35-BAF0-776A93DAB6A7.jpeg
    18732EAC-A36B-4D35-BAF0-776A93DAB6A7.jpeg