Eggs hatching under 1st time broody -- came home to find first chick dead, away from hen/nest

DownwardDog

Songster
11 Years
Jun 4, 2012
Seacoast New Hampshire
Might my broody have killed this chick? What do I do with the rest of them under her? There are 10 more -- I can hear one cheeping... Will she kill them or do I wait and see? So tough, this is our first hatch ever!

If she is a first time broody she might not have recognized that the chick had strayed or that she actually hatched one. Watch her carefully as the others hatch. If she seems really indifferent and/or the chicks are valuable then you can pull them as they hatch. I had one hen who always refused to take care of her young and one that lost one on her first hatch (the chick strayed from the nest) and then become a wonderful mother after some experience. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I suspect, after looking closely, it hatched prematurely. It looked full grown but its eyes were sealed shut, the yolk sac wasn't absorbed and there was blood veining all around the inside shell:-(

I noticed one fluffy chick under her when I went back to visit, and I got to see one hatch while I was there. She wasn't aggressive to either one, so I think all is well. Phew!

I am curious though -- she still has 9 eggs under her. Will she leave the eggs to show the already-hatched chicks where food and water is???

The chicks can go a couple of days without food or water so she will give the clutch a day or so to hatch and then she will move them off the nest and will stop sitting. The babies will be fine. Congrats on your hatching.

Great News!!!
ya.gif
Now all we need is a few adorable pictures.....

Back
Top Bottom