Eggs in Incubator..count down to May 21!!

Quote:
They are sooo cute!! I wish mine would hurry up already!! the PiP did get a little bigger but no chirping yet...also lots of other movement from the other eggs so hopefully I just got the dates messed up

Waiting is SO HARD! 7 eggs with heartbeats (water tested) into Lockdown. Chirping egg last night. Finally a pip. This morning hatched welsummer and another egg pipped . Now I had to snatch the two that hatched and I have two eggs that the shell is cracked like not quite a hole, but pipping.

Had to snatch cause the chicks crawled out of their raise egg crate lids that they hatched into down onto the wire and that was too low for their temps and didn't want them chilling.

Humidity was between 80-90 % and it is 70% humidity in the house. Had added water (use a needle and syringe!) prior to the snatches.

Really hope all is well. So hopefully will have 4 live chicks. Fingers crossed on the other 3 as THEY AREN'T PIPPING YET!!!!

Ok, so now I walk by the foam bator and give it a knock or a shake!

Checked under the broody hen, no I couldn't because the other hen is sitting in there with her laying an egg probably. Put some wire in a couple places around their coop area cause chicks could get in trouble roaming in some of those corners!

Waiting is SO HARD!!! I got 2 chickies and 2 pippies!!!
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
:clap

Well final tally I'm afraid is 16 RIR's and 2 D'Uccle banty's. Candled the remaining eggs and wound up removing almost half of the remaining as it seems they quit at day 18 or 19. The remainder that were still alive I'm hoping will hatch at some point today. Anyway congrats to everyone that was in this hatch-along it was fun to experience it with others going through the same things.
frow.gif

Congrats to all! Thanks so much for joining me on my first hatch! What a learning experience this has been! Setting 30 more! Blue Ameracuanas, Silver Spangled Hamburgs, Buff Orps, Black Copper and Blue Splash Marans...
Now on to learn more about raising chickens!
jumpy.gif

From lockdown, 3 chicks made it. Last night's zipper died in the shell and was a large egg and a large chick. It's beak was under it's wing and it filled the shell. Guess I should have gone in late last night instead of waiting for him to finish up.

So today I checked eggs using the water method and one I cracked open that the egg didn't move at all, was alive and a week from hatching. About 1/3 of the egg in size. So now I'm a chicken killer. I feel bad for losing two chicks like this.

I put all eggs in hatch position in the bator and they are all on lockdown again. There were a couple heartbeats, but I'm thinking there are a lot more live chickies in those eggs.

Should have more hatching out in 3 to 7 days.

House ambient humidity is 80%. So I removed the paper towels, etc from the bator. It is supposed to thunderstorm all week and I have hygrometers inside and outside the bator.

Temp setting and egg heights were good enough to hatch out chicks, so I'm not messing with it. Just check with the flashlight in the viewing windows and leaving it all alone.

The GREAT news is that I stole eating eggs out from underneath the broody hens, two hens sitting that nest, and one egg was wrapped in another shell. The back hen has a chirping/peeping under her!! So that would be the 4th Wellie.

Guess I better start putting chick crumbles back in that coop for the chickie to eat when they let it out of the nest!!

This is a first for me. I plan to steal the chicks there and put them in the brooder. That coop isn't as safe as I would like for chickies and I don't want them getting 'lice' from the hens, even though there is DE in the nesting material, wood ashes and DE in the coop. The hens legs look much better now with all the wood ashes and DE. I did a vaseline/tea tree oil treatment on them when I first got them. But I haven't caught anybody and checked their vents. (Didn't want to mess up the broody hens this close to their hatching)

Just wish the hens would lay in a different nest for the eating eggs! Fed the dogs this last batch cause they've been in there for a few days.

Cheers and I will have chick pictures tomorrow when they are fluffy!

My new babies so far!! I have 4 buff laced polish, 1 golden laced polish, 1 splash orpington x polish, and 1 orpington x polish (not sure on color yet)

112632130_photobucket_3679_.jpg

112632130_photobucket_3678_.jpg

112632130_photobucket_3677_.jpg

off to work I go...I hate Tuesdays they are so long....hopefully more babies when I get home though, Hunter is doing a great job checking on them and sending me updates while at work
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom