Eggs in incubator hatching at different times. Questions???

cmgamble

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Hi

I know it wasn't the ideal situation, however, I thought the eggs should arrive at the same time. I set some eggs on Friday and then some the following Wednesday. Here is the problem, the first setting is due to hatch this Friday so today is the last day for turning, however; the others need to be turned until Sunday. Do I risk my hatch if I open the bator shortly for a brief moment before my first set of eggs hatch. I plan to put the second batch in a gladware container so I can remove them quickly turn them and place them right back in the bator. Hopefully this (the container) will protect them when my first eggs start to hatch this Friday. I hate that this happened this way, but I received my eggs on a Friday and that same day the other seller emailed and said she hadn't mailed the eggs and wouldn't until the following Monday. What should I do?

I'm afraid to say you do risk your hatch as your humidity should be raised for the last three days so you risk this could damage the others . You can't borrow another bater ?or rig something up to seperate the eggs ?
sorry

A few days not turning shouldn't do that much damage.

I'd keep it closed and just resume turning after everyones done hatching if you can't get another bator to hatch them out in.

I tend to lean towards not turning any of them for a few days. What say you?

I don't know what kind of incubator you have, but we have cabinet GQF incubators and we often have staggering hatches. We have to open the incubator every day to refill water containers. It has never affected our hatches. We get from 85 to 95% hatches. And we never candle eggs during the incubation period, so we don't remove infertile eggs. We count all eggs put into the incubator in the calculations of hatches, even infertile ones.

I only used a styrofoam incubator a few times, and we opened it every day also to add water.
I don't know how everyone increases the humidity the last few days if they don't open their incubators to add water, so I would think if you could minimize the heat loss you should be fine.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom