eggs in the fridge, then out, then in?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tman2, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Tman2

Tman2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Corcoran, MN
    I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, but it's about eggs, so.......

When we get our eggs, we put them into the fridge. We brought some to a friend who forgot to pick them up, and we brought them back home. They've been out of the fridge 24 hours. My wife thinks they're bad now. I say eggs don't need to be in the fridge, so it doesn't matter they were in, then out, now back in.

What say you?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    They're fine. I don't even put mine in the fridge. Well, I do if we don't use them in a week or so, but what you described is just fine. I'd worry if they'd been in a hot car during a heat wave, but it's not that time of year. [​IMG]

3. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    they will be just fine. You could have them outside the fridge at room temp for probably a month or so and they'd be ok. I've read where they can last 6 mos while in the fridge, a day or two, outside the fridge isn't going to hurt them.

4. Tman2

Tman2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Corcoran, MN
    A couple more confirmations and it looks like I'll be hearing the sweet sound of my wife saying, "I was wrong....."

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:[​IMG]

I wouldn't count on that, but go ahead and eat the eggs.

6. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:No, ain't gonna happen.

It is an inbuilt inhibition, similar to your inhibition to ask for directions when lost (You do know about that one don't you?).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by