Eggs left for 4 hours--will any hatch?

rosawoodsii

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
I have a RR broody hen that's been sitting eggs for about 2-12 weeks. She got off the next to go eat and I found her setting newly laid eggs in the main coop about 4 hours later. The original nest had been left but it was a warm day (70's) so I put her back on her nest and closed the door. Is there any hope of these eggs hatching?

I think they will be fine. My last broody got back on the wrong nest for about 3 hours at 15 days incubation. She still hatched 7/9 and the two that didn't make it were fully developed.

Pheeew! Eggs were due to hatch today or tomorrow, but they smell very, very bad. Hen is still sitting on them. Don't they have a sense of smell? Phew! Not sure if they're all bad or just a couple. Should I remove her and toss them or wait another couple of day?

hatched an egg that was kicked off the nest for a day and candled when found appeared to have died so i set it on the counter for 12 more hours and candled once more to be sure and now i have a OEGB named Banjo!

I guess I would try to find the one(s) that are stinking and toss it. Leave the others a couple more days.

Back
Top Bottom