Eggs left for 4 hours--will any hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosawoodsii, Aug 13, 2011.

1. rosawoodsii

rosawoodsii Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    I have a RR broody hen that's been sitting eggs for about 2-12 weeks. She got off the next to go eat and I found her setting newly laid eggs in the main coop about 4 hours later. The original nest had been left but it was a warm day (70's) so I put her back on her nest and closed the door. Is there any hope of these eggs hatching?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

There fine, they will just hatch 4 hours later than they would have.

3. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I think they will be fine. My last broody got back on the wrong nest for about 3 hours at 15 days incubation. She still hatched 7/9 and the two that didn't make it were fully developed.

4. rosawoodsii

Apr 13, 2009
    Pheeew! Eggs were due to hatch today or tomorrow, but they smell very, very bad. Hen is still sitting on them. Don't they have a sense of smell? Phew! Not sure if they're all bad or just a couple. Should I remove her and toss them or wait another couple of day?

5. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    hatched an egg that was kicked off the nest for a day and candled when found appeared to have died so i set it on the counter for 12 more hours and candled once more to be sure and now i have a OEGB named Banjo!

6. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I guess I would try to find the one(s) that are stinking and toss it. Leave the others a couple more days.

7. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Yup or candle them tonight see if you see movement

8. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I would locate the stinking egg because if it explodes it could ruin the whole hatch and you risk flies and maggots.

9. rosawoodsii

Apr 13, 2009
    I'll candle them tonight and see if anything looks viable. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by