Eggs okay? (newbie questions)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by havi, Oct 17, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I recieved fertile eggs in the mail and put them under my broody yesterday afternoon. This is my first time hatching eggs so Im curious about a couple of things.

Normally..how many eggs can a large breed hen lay on and hatch? Such as a buff orpington. What does it mean when they kick a egg out of the nest?

Sorry about the bad photos, but in the first picture there is a ring around one of the ends. I have a couple of eggs like this. What is it?

The second photo is what most of the eggs look like. With little spots all over them. What is it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  2. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Is this bad?

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It's hard to say with the first one, but the second looks like a porous shell. They can be hatched, but are more susceptable to bacteria infection.

4. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the first pic might be the air cell- if it rolls around when you turn the egg it still may hatch, two of mine did.

The second is a porous shell- low calcium in the hen for that egg. They are more susceptible to bacteria, but again, still may hatch.

I do not know anything about orpingtons- sorry!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  5. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    This is the part of the egg Im talking about. There is..3 eggs with this same ring(?) at one of the ends. I didnt know if this was good or not. I'll try to take some better pictures tomorrow.

[​IMG]

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    It should be the air sac, I wouldn't stress it.

I have had many eggs with the dots, they hatched fine.

Don't stress it at the moment!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by