Eggs Shifting/Walking in Incubator?

Chaoth

Chirping
May 19, 2019
Hello!
I am currently trying to incubate quail eggs for the first time. Something has concerned me and my dad slightly during this, although it's only the second day, and we're a bit stumped on what to do if it's an issue.

We are using an incubator with automatic turning, it uses rods without slots for the eggs. When the eggs turn, they slowly shift to one side of the incubator depending on which way their ends are pointing.. so they end up either against the side of the incubator that has small plastic gears or against the plastic wall.

The eggs also slightly rub against eachother, and we've been worried hairline cracks may form from the friction. For now, the eggs are against the side with plastic as opposed to the gears and I have a bit of the foam that the eggs were shipped with against the OUTSIDE of the incubator where the eggs are touching to try to reduce temperature drop.

Should we be worried about this? What can we do to prevent it, if it's an issue? This is our first time hatching quails and I want to have the highest hatch rate possible.
Thank you!!

IMG_20230530_070303822~2.jpg

Probably not. Broodys push around their eggs all of the time.
I don't really hear people say their eggs were cracked by the turning very often. I haven't ever had it happen to me.

I can’t answer your question but I think you raise a good point about the potential conductive heat loss from eggs touching the wall.
Following.

An update on the eggs:

Out of 30, 25 were fertile at day 14 when we candled before lockdown.

Day 19 today; 9 of the 25 have hatched (7 on day 17, 2 on day 18).

It's still early morning so I'm not expecting any to hatch yet. I've read they can take up to 20 days to hatch, so I'm being patient and hoping they're all alright.

During incubation, before lockdown, I had to reposition the eggs once a day (making sure the humidity didn't drop much, taking about 20-30 seconds max to move them), because they were rubbing against each other and forcing several to have their points up.

Having the foam against the outside of the incubator helped with the temperature drop, although we ended up having to put the styrofoam cover over the bottom half of the incubator due to our power going out at one point for about an hour.

None of the eggs were broken from rolling against each other, which is a relief considering how fragile their shells are. Will update again on day 20 or 21 if I remember.

Back
Top Bottom