Eggs taste like regular ol' store ones

In winter I supplement second cutting alfalfa hay for the greens. Then I buy a couple bags of deer carrots and feed a couple carrots every other day. I feed them whole and the chickens peck them down to nothing. This also gives them an activity for the long winter days when they can not get outside.My yolks stay orange summer and winter.

In winter I supplement second cutting alfalfa hay for the greens.
I do the same when greens are scarce in the winter. I toss some Alfalfa under the raised coops a couple times a week. I think my yolks are a nice color.
20200202_095109.jpg

GC

My son recently did a science fair project on yolk color. He (we) tested a number of different foods including red peppers, pomegranate, squash, goji berries, kale, etc. I would not let him give the chickens cayenne because I think that's cruel (would you feed your cat/dog cayenne?). The food that darkened the yolk the most was red peppers.

If you were already buying nice eggs from the store before, it might just be harder to tell if there's a difference with yours. If you really want to test this out, get cheap eggs from the corner store :lol: I do that sometimes and they suuuuuuck. The yolks are very pale and they break if you sneeze at them. No flavor either. Then a friend of mine gave me some eggs from her backyard chickens and WOW. Even my kids could taste the difference.

I would not let him give the chickens cayenne because I think that's cruel (would you feed your cat/dog cayenne?).
Don't anthropomorphize animals too much. They aren't like us in every aspect. Chickens, for example, can't taste capsaicin - the compound that makes peppers hot. It only affects mammals. So it's not cruel for the chickens at all. Just don't give it to your dog or cat.

Don't anthropomorphize animals too much. They aren't like us in every aspect. Chickens, for example, can't taste capsaicin - the compound that makes peppers hot. It only affects mammals. So it's not cruel for the chickens at all. Just don't give it to your dog or cat.

Interesting. Do you have a source for this information?

Back
Top Bottom