Eggs that are roosters or hens?

Country Chickens

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Orange County, NC
Hi all. We're planning to start our own flock, and very excited! We have a question, though. (or two, or three)
wink.png

Is there a way to tell if eggs contain future hen vs. roosters? Are there any breeds/kinds of eggs where this is possible?

There's already one rooster in the neighborhood that we can call on if in need, and my husband doesn't want a rooster in our flock. He works from home and feels the noise right outside his window would be too distracting!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have heard of one but don't know if it is true or not. At the pointed end of the egg if it is pointed it will be a roo if it is rounded it will be a hen. That is just what I have heard.
Chris

That's what I've heard as well, but many said it's not true. My dad said that he sat a hen once with all rounded eggs, and most of the chicks were pullets, but I think he just got lucky

Sounds like a fascinating business--and all very scientific!

Okay, so do you guys have any suggestions on how to re-home roos? I'd also be willing to eat them, but not sure I'm up for the butcher job.

How early can you tell? Isn't there one kind of chicken that you can tell right off? Maybe I'll just wait and get chicks...though we were looking forward to hatching.

Thanks for all the comments. I've been looking around for awhile now, and this is a wonderful site.
big_smile.png

Country Chickens, there are certain breeds that you can tell roos from pullets right off from the coloration of the chicks. Any sex link chick is that way. If you prefer not to hatch your own, why not buy just pullets from a reputable breeder and have the shipped as day old chicks? I hope this helps
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
craigslist is one place you can use to rehome just about anything.

Use the search feature ^^ and the terms: sexing and chicks you should get some hits on the how to's. When all else fails, post pictures and the folks here will give you their opinions. Some chicks you can tell on day one by looking at their feathers or vent sexing, but that's an artform and takes a keen eye.

http://dsc.discovery.com/video/play...=210013706&lineupId=18590641&titleId=18579452

If you must have pullets, order them. I am hatching right now cuz I have figured out how to give away roosters!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom