Eggs Tomorrow for Broody Hen, Help Appreciated!!!

PugAndChickMomma

Chirping
Aug 28, 2019
WA
Hi everyone! I have done research, read articles...and I still have questions. I am getting some eggs tomorrow for my broody hen to sit on. She is currently in the coop in one of the nesting boxes, however I had planned to move her to a kennel within the covered run under the coop (raised coop) but now I am second guessing if this is the best call. My flock is in two coops/runs right now with my year old hens in one, and my 9 week olds in another. Should I keep her in her current run but give her a private area (kennel), put her with the 9 week olds since they aren't using their boxes at all yet, or move the 9 week olds to the bigger coop and give her a coop to herself? I don't think I want to move her, but i have never done this before. Is it safe for her and the eggs to keep her in her run with the others? Would I just keep her in the nesting box she is in? If I move her to the kennel, will she stay or hop back up to the nesting box? Sorry, I am a little overwhelmed. There is so much information to process.

My 9 week olds have met the older hens, and one older hen (2nd in command) isn't nice to them. Others are fine with them, and my older hens are all very nice to each other. Not sure if this info helps or not, but wanted to include it just in case.

If you have advice, or can point me to posts/articles that you think are helpful I would really appreciate the help. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom