Eggs what do you do with surplus??????????????

Ema

Songster
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
N. Ontario CANADA
MODS: sorry if I posted this in wrong section, wasn't sure where to post!!!

Ok, so my chickens began laying 2 weeks ago I was getting just 3 eggs/day now I am getting 14+ per day, I got 21 chickens, and I only got 2 buyers...everyone else thinks I am going to give the eggs away for free or expect it cause they are friends. well to me that doesn't sound right.

anyhow, so I know have 5 dozen eggs laid in the last 4 days or so, we've already had egg salad, make a cake, deviled eggs, fried egg sandwiches fed the dogs scrambled eggs and I still got 5 dozen ahahaha.

what do you guys do when you got soo many eggs?? please help me out, there is only soo many jars of pickled eggs I can make LOL

I used to give them away to the neighbors. Some would insist on paying me, others not. I didn't care.

We have a large commercial flock now and the excess small and super jumbo eggs that don't get shipped to the processing plant can add up to cases a week at times. We sell what we can and give the rest to local food pantries. Usually the food pantry at the small church down the road first and then to the Salvation Army if there is still excess.

Scramble them and feed them back to the chickens. Pure protein. They'll love 'em. Crush the egg shells as well and give them to them also.

I wish I had your problem. I'd sell em. I don't no where you live but where I'm at one sign at the front gate they'd be gone.If they weren't I could sell them at the store down the road.

a Soup Kitchen would probably love them until your sales pick up
or other Places that help Poor Families to pass out to those in need
the Elderly or Disabled living on a fixed income

For me as I don't leave the house much and don't want strangers coming here when I am alone, who ever comes gets eggs. Mailman, UPS man, Family & Friends, my Dr.s when I go

I guess I could always ask my daughters school kitchen, the church and the food bank if they would like the eggs, for them I wouldn't mind just giving them away.

Quote:
I'd charge your friends and every now and again give some away to the neighbors or a local food pantry. That little bit of kindness goes a long way.

You can freeze some for baking when the hens stop laying so many. I like to keep a good supply on hand for the times when the girls are on strike. All you do is salt the yolks so they don't gum up, and you can freeze them in ice cube trays and put them into baggies in the freezer. Take out and thaw for recipes as needed. Oh, and you can make mayonnaise, pancakes, egg salad, angel food cake uses a load of eggs, and custard, use them in meat loaf and cornbread, and freeze for future dinners. There are loads of things you can do to use up all those eggs. I make homemade waffles and freeze them for a quick breakfast for DH and DD13. You may even still have some left to give/sell.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom