Eggs with a bubble

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lacrystol, Mar 14, 2011.

1. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'd leave them in, and handle them as little as possible. Day 4 is really too early for candling. I only candle on days 10 and 18 these days, handling as little as possible.
    Hope you get more than one! [​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I've heard that if you use the egg carton method, they have a better chance of hatching. I had a shipment where every one of them was like this, and two almost hatched. Had power/incubator problems and they gave up right before hatching [​IMG]

3. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Songster

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I hatch these all the time! Don't toss it! If you don't have them in a turner now, then put them in an egg carton with the lid off and tilt the carton 3x a day at a modest angle. I let the carton lay in the flat position overnight. Candle at day 14 and see if any have growth. If you have growth, there is hope. For lockdown, just let the egg carton lay flat.

4. milakegrl

milakegrl Chirping

Jan 19, 2011
    UP of MI
    I just candled four day 18 eggs and I'm slightly worried. They still have veins (kinda dark shelled so I don't see movement) and good air cells. I was expecting a solid dark egg except for the air cell, there is still some space at the pointy end (in the two I can see in).....normal? I know they still have a couple days to go so I'm really hoping. Also, one egg (again, veined and good air cell!) has a bit of crusty stuff on the side - looks like dried ooze, just a little and does not smell at all. THOUGHTS????

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    This last hatch I had 3 with bubbles 2 hatched and one didnt develope. I say leave them for awhile and see if anything happens. Mine were shipped eggs too. I always give til at the very least 10 days. Then if you dont see veining pitch.

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Quote:If you can still see veins hang on to them. An egg that has quit you will not see any veins, the kinda like dry up or at least thats how they look to me.

7. milakegrl

milakegrl Chirping

Jan 19, 2011
    UP of MI
    Quote:If you can still see veins hang on to them. An egg that has quit you will not see any veins, the kinda like dry up or at least thats how they look to me.

Well, I looked at the on ewith the crust again and it seems that there is a large vein right under the crust...I really don't think it's a bacteria ring - it doesn't go all the way around but I have no idea!! Thanks for responding so fast!! It's my birthday and lockdown today so I was really excited to look at them again. Now I'm just worried!!

8. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Songster

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have one in now with a broken air cell & its growing!

9. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Quote:I have them laying flat on the bottom of the incubator, do you think I should get an egg carton and stick them in one? there's quite a few eggs with this bubble thing. Out of 16 I can only see one really good normal egg.

10. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Quote:Ok so right now I have them laying flat on the bottom of the incubator, you think I should get an egg carton? Does it matter which end goes into the egg carton? I'm a little confused at the 3x a day thing. you said tilt the egg carton 3x a day at a modest angle but let the carton lay flat? How do you lay an egg carton flat but yet tilt it 3x a day. ???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: