Eggs with warts

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WandaFuca, May 29, 2010.

1. WandaFuca

WandaFuca New Egg

May 14, 2008
    I have two Wyandotts and 1 Rhode Island Red. The red is a rescue I'm not sure how old she is and the 2 Wyandotts are two years old. I feed them an organic layers mix and fresh veggies )like lettuce and tomatos) Every once in a while there is a egg with what looks like a little wart on it. Is this something I should be worried about (I guess I already am :) I'm not sure which hen is doing it because all the eggs are brown.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I have noticed that once in a while too. I don,t think it indicates anything, but I will be watching this thread. Just in case!

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    You will get strange things on your eggs from time to time , it is perfectly normal ....

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Without a pic I can't be sure, but I think what you are describing is excess calcium. You'll see it on your eggs from time to time. No biggie.

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Excess calcium, especially on the pointy end....tiny calcium "beads" that can somtimes be rubbed off....ugly hard lumps of calcium deposited in a wart-like manner randomly over the shell. I have one hen that does this - I know, because her eggs are different color from the rest. From time to time, she's also laying a shell-less egg. She's been doing this, on and off, this spring. During the winter, her shells were perfect and smooth. The rest of the flock lay perfect shells.

Do you offer crushed oyster shell, free choice? That would be something to check.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by