Eggs

nicolette

Chirping
Jul 25, 2016
Few weeks i was getting 10,12 & 13 a day I have 16 layers. But now I'm getting 7 at the least 10 at the most. But are weather has been 90's degrees, 95 degrees & 100 degrees. Could that cause them to drop in eggs? Is there anything that I could do increase their laying during the summer time? But we are dropping back down to the high 80 degree soon.

Few weeks i was getting 10,12 & 13 a day I have 16 layers. But now I'm getting 7 at the least 10 at the most. But are weather has been 90's degrees, 95 degrees & 100 degrees. Could that cause them to drop in eggs? Is there anything that I could do increase their laying during the summer time? But we are dropping back down to the high 80 degree soon.
Yeah, high heat can cause a drop. Make sure they have shade and the coop is ventilated. Stop feeding cracked corn during the high heat. Take an old muffin pan, fill the cups with peas or some other veggie, fill each with water. Freeze them, pop a couple out and give it to the girls in the hot afternoons. They'll peck at it, maybe get a little frustrated, but it will help them stay cool. Watermelon straight from the fridge will be good too.

yes heat can stress can affect laying. They may even be laying in another place that is cooler, I've had them lay in a bush and lately my fallen owl house from high winds the squirrels live in. There was a pile in it of 16 eggs. I wondered what was going on with the numbers. Keep plenty of water handy and a good shady spot would be welcome to them. canned corn frozen makes a great cooling treat for them.

Yeah, high heat can cause a drop. Make sure they have shade and the coop is ventilated. Stop feeding cracked corn during the high heat. Take an old muffin pan, fill the cups with peas or some other veggie, fill each with water. Freeze them, pop a couple out and give it to the girls in the hot afternoons. They'll peck at it, maybe get a little frustrated, but it will help them stay cool. Watermelon straight from the fridge will be good too.

yes heat can stress can affect laying. They may even be laying in another place that is cooler, I've had them lay in a bush and lately my fallen owl house from high winds the squirrels live in. There was a pile in it of 16 eggs. I wondered what was going on with the numbers. Keep plenty of water handy and a good shady spot would be welcome to them. canned corn frozen makes a great cooling treat for them.

Back
Top Bottom