Eggs

ducks and geese

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
My ducks are about 22 weeks old and have still not started laying yet except for two. When will they all lay?? I have two Muscovie hens two Rouen hens two Pekin hens and a drake of each breed. I'm raising them for eggs not offspring. Please post below

Thanks

Chances are the muscovy hens won't lay until next spring. They tend to be seasonal layers so this years hatch won't lay until next year. (though this can depend on your location. If you live where it's warm year round you may see eggs sooner).

As for the others, you should see eggs any time now. Pekins and rouens usually start around 5-6 months. I would suggest a light on a timer in their coop if you can as the shorteneing days can delay them from laying. A light will "trick" them into thinking it's still summer (they usually go by daylight hours, not necessarily temps).

Thanks I don't think I can put a light in their hutch because there is only a light in the chicken coop coming from the dairy barn

Ducks lay between 6-8mths but some will lay earlier some later... i have had some start at 4mths my most recent started in the last couple weeks she was hatched in Mar of this year.

I am not a believer in forcing the issue, as said they are seasonal layers with the exception i believe of some of those fancy hybrid layer types. All my ducks have ceased for now, whether it'll stay that way hard to say, but last year they stopped in Oct resumed in feb.

It all depends on the breed too.
Pekins and Rouens are known to lay 200+ eggs a year. Since these are young birds (this years hatch) you should see eggs soon from them whereas other breeds that are more seasonal (calls, muscovy, etc) probably won't lay any until spring even if they mature during the winter.
And when I had both of those breeds, they would usually take the really cold months off (Jan-Feb) and maybe a month or two in the summer or fall (July-Aug depending on when they molt). Other than that, if fed and housed properly and as stress-free as you can, you should see lots off eggs throughout the year from them

That won't have enough nutritional value in it to be their only food source.
If you feed the oats/corn as a main diet, you will need to supplement DAILY with oyster shells (for calcium), lots of fresh greens (grass and/or veggies) and fruits. This will give them the much needed vitamins and minerals that their bodies will need, especially if you want eggs from them

Back
Top Bottom