eggshell?

kelzey

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
newfoundland and labrador, canada
i don’t have access to a farm store of any kind (the closest is probably like 4/5 hours away) and i find that oyster shell is just soooo expensive on amazon? i know that it’s necessary, but yeah. i’ve been saving up leftover eggshell from my girls eggs and i’ve been wanting to give it to them (baked and crushed up) but i’m just so worried that they will eat too much of it? especially my top hen, she’s basically a pig in a chicken costume. i’ve given them bits of eggshell just on the ground sometimes but they go sooo crazy for it, is too much calcium possible like this? or does anyone have a link to some affordable oyster shell on amazon or another site? i’m in canada so it needs to be accessible to me. and please don’t yell at me for not giving extra calcium to my girls right away, i’m trying my best. would it be okay for me to just give them a bowl of crushed eggshell until i have the means to order some oyster? they don’t have any issues with laying eggs even if they don’t have the extra calcium- sometimes they lay funny eggs but i’ve only gotten 3 of them out of 3/4 dozen that i’ve gotten from my three girls, and even then i know that funny ones are normal every now and again.

i don’t have access to a farm store of any kind (the closest is probably like 4/5 hours away) and i find that oyster shell is just soooo expensive on amazon? i know that it’s necessary, but yeah. i’ve been saving up leftover eggshell from my girls eggs and i’ve been wanting to give it to them (baked and crushed up) but i’m just so worried that they will eat too much of it? especially my top hen, she’s basically a pig in a chicken costume. i’ve given them bits of eggshell just on the ground sometimes but they go sooo crazy for it, is too much calcium possible like this? or does anyone have a link to some affordable oyster shell on amazon or another site? i’m in canada so it needs to be accessible to me. and please don’t yell at me for not giving extra calcium to my girls right away, i’m trying my best. would it be okay for me to just give them a bowl of crushed eggshell until i have the means to order some oyster? they don’t have any issues with laying eggs even if they don’t have the extra calcium- sometimes they lay funny eggs but i’ve only gotten 3 of them out of 3/4 dozen that i’ve gotten from my three girls, and even then i know that funny ones are normal every now and again.
They self regulate.
And they need it.
Put out a dish every day.

I would consider buying at least one bag of oyster shells. Oyster shells are a slow releasing form of calcium where egg shells are a fast releasing form. You don't need to bake the egg shells. I dry mine on the counter and crush them up and mix about 4-5 parts egg shells with one part oyster shells and leave it in a huge dish. Your rooster and non-laying pullets will likely explore at first, but I find it is the active layers that really chow down. If you're getting thinner shells, up the amount. If you've got good hard shells and they are still chowing down, you could maybe alternate days you put out the calcium. In general though you should be able to leave it all out free-choice and they will self-regulate.

I would consider buying at least one bag of oyster shells. Oyster shells are a slow releasing form of calcium where egg shells are a fast releasing form. You don't need to bake the egg shells. I dry mine on the counter and crush them up and mix about 4-5 parts egg shells with one part oyster shells and leave it in a huge dish. Your rooster and non-laying pullets will likely explore at first, but I find it is the active layers that really chow down. If you're getting thinner shells, up the amount. If you've got good hard shells and they are still chowing down, you could maybe alternate days you put out the calcium. In general though you should be able to leave it all out free-choice and they will self-regulate.
okay thank you! im going to get some oyster shells, it just had to be after christmas when i have the money. i’ll put out the eggshell tomorrow though- all three of my girls lay and i have two young cockerels but they are separate, so i don’t have to worry about that. eggshells are really my only option right now, so that’s what i have to use for the time being. i’m sure that it’s better than nothing at all though?

okay thank you! im going to get some oyster shells, it just had to be after christmas when i have the money. i’ll put out the eggshell tomorrow though- all three of my girls lay and i have two young cockerels but they are separate, so i don’t have to worry about that. eggshells are really my only option right now, so that’s what i have to use for the time being. i’m sure that it’s better than nothing at all though?

Do you use layer feed? I don’t really use layer feed anymore except for on occasion. At most I’ve had maybe 10 laying hens and use egg shells. I’ve had the same bag of oyster shells for almost two years. They last a while.

Your hens are probably eating the shells so quickly because they need the calcium. They will ease off once they catch up. The reason people bake them is to make sure there is no bacteria, but I don't bake and have never had a problem. Also chickens are very capable of breaking up the shells for themselves. Not giving calcium is what could cause egg eating. I have not had egg eating problems by giving uncrushed shells.

Your hens are probably eating the shells so quickly because they need the calcium. They will ease off once they catch up. The reason people bake them is to make sure there is no bacteria, but I don't bake and have never had a problem. Also chickens are very capable of breaking up the shells for themselves. Not giving calcium is what could cause egg eating. I have not had egg eating problems by giving uncrushed shells.
i mean i haven’t had any problems- but i understand what you mean! i plan on ordering some oyster shell when i have the money after christmas, and tomorrow i’m going to give them eggshell to tie them over until i have the other stuff. thank you for your input :)

No need to feed them oyster shell if you feed them a layer type crumble or pelleted feed.

What do you feed?

If the eggshells from your birds are not thin and brittle, then they are probably getting by just fine on the calcium in the layer feed. Feeding the shells back to them is, in my opinion, plenty of added calcium.

Back
Top Bottom