1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eggshells for calcium question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gvntofly05, Nov 16, 2009.

1. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    My flock is currently 8 weeks old. I have started saving eggshells to offer to them with their feed when they start laying. So far I have just been rinsing the eggshells and letting them dry out in a container. What exactly do I need to do to them to prepare them and store them for later use?

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Personally, and it is only my own way, I get the oven good and hot. The eggshells go on a cookie sheet and into the oven. The oven is turned off and "hopefully" I remember to take the eggshells out before turning the oven back on to cook something else [​IMG].

The dried eggshells can then go into a bag and be crushed down to a size and shape that no longer resembles an egg.

Fresh eggshells can go into a bag with kitchen scraps as they become available. A few squeezes and they are broken and mixed with the food.

I feed FlockRaiser (low calcium) to the birds. They have oyster shells as they want them. One thing you cannot do is to rely entirely on recycled eggshells for your layers. Their digestion is just not that efficient.

. . . just my 2ยข.

Steve

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't store them but just crush them and feed them. I have not had problems with egg eaters, but I do make sure they are crushed.

Since you are storing them until you have layers, I'd suggest just rinsing and drying them, then store them already crushed in a bag. As long as they are rinsed and dried, I don't think they need to be cooked. If you don't rinse them well, they could start to smell, so cooking would take care of that. I'd look for a simple method that suits the way you do things and adjust as necessary.

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I rinse mine and when they are dry crush them and dump them in a shoe box. If they are not completely dry they will continue to dry since they are not in plastic.

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Dry and crush is all I've ever done.

.....Alan.

6. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by