"Eggtopia" 10-19-08 update pg 8 The Girls are Inside...

hahahaha they are now calling it "The Keep of Eggtopia"
gig.gif
goodness do not mention concentina wire...I do not think they have thought of that yet.
roll.png

Work continues. We have begun the walls of the Keep and the girls sat in their tractors watching construction yesterday. They were quite intrigued with this building stuff going on around them.

Progress pics...

South wall up and braced: this wall is 12' by 6' and will be the 'back' of the coop.

HPIM3351Small.jpg

2 x 4 constructed with the top and bottom being 2 x 4 x 12

HPIM3352Small.jpg

The North wall being built: This is the 8' wall that will have the run attached.

HPIM3353Small.jpg

HPIM3354Small.jpg

This is just a shot of the location of the coop. I chose the spot in the trees for shade and also wind protection. It gets good sun starting about 8 am and is sheltered from the bulk of the midday sun/heat and the afternoon sun. They will get enough of it to warm the coop in the winter but stay comfortable with a fan in the summer. This picture was taken about 4:30 pm to give you an idea of sunlight on the coop.

HPIM3356Small.jpg

I located two windows and a door at a yard sale...the door is a metal door which will be my door on the outside of the coop. The windows I will have to take pics of later today as one is really large (it is going on the west side of the coop) and one is average size (it will go on the east side of the coop. The walls for them will be framed today.

So more updates later today.

Last edited:
aawwww the girls get the great house but the run will be so-so. There is not alot of grass and such there for them, so they will get time in their tractors as well. The run is going to be about 12' x 30' when we get to that part.

This is how it looked at 6:30 this morning...

The North wall in place and the pop door framed on the right side. This wall is 12' x 8' and will have the run attached.

HPIM3362Small.jpg

This is how Eggtopia looks in the early morning so far

HPIM3368Small.jpg

The recycled windows (cost $25) one is 4' x 6' and the other is 2' x 2'. The large one will be on the West wall and the smaller on the East wall with the door for me to enter the coop.

HPIM3361Small.jpg

DD and a couple of her friends have painted all the grils' names and birthdates on the plywood flooring. Even though it is being covered by linoleum, she says they will know the names and dates are there. So, we are going with that wisdom. hehehehehe

HPIM3363Small.jpg

HPIM3366Small.jpg

HPIM3365Small.jpg

This is the little memorial to our little favorelle that did not make it and died at 4 days old..."Miracle"

HPIM3364Small.jpg

So, more updates later. I just thought I would get pics of the second wall and the coop area in the early morning hours. Have a great day everyone!

I actually got Dh to start working on the coop before the babies arrived, but with our crazy schedules it's been nothing but framed walls for over a week. I wish I had gone with 12x12, but then I would have needed a building permit, so I'll stick with 8x12--and build a third coop next spring lol.

Back
Top Bottom