Eggtopsy: What happened to my egg? {Graphic Pictures}

Pics
It is at day 24, so yes, it should have hatched.

Oh wow, you'll have to help it soon or it may end up dying. I'd try again tomorrow and see if there is anymore blood, encourage it to chirp so it will pull in the yolk and veins, talk to it, look up a chirping video on YouTube anything to encourage it to chirp

Hi, I've never done anything like this on the internet before, so if I've not done this correctly, please let me know. I've also never incubated eggs until now, and have just joined this site because, you guessed it, I had problems. I'm hoping someone can help me as I would like to be able to get a better than 50 percentage hatch. I purchased a Jonel24 incubator from ebay. It came with a chinese english instruction book which I found difficult to understand. I turned it on but didn't understand callibration. My husband had a very old scientific thermometer and it was about 1 degree C less than what my bator read. The first 8 days I had the vent half closed. This produced condensation in the clear part of the bator. I started searching, and found I may have had the humidity too high. So I opened the vent fully and left it at that. I didn't know you had to buy a hygrometer until then. So I got one on ebay by which time the humidity had sorted itself out. I couldn't calibrate it because the end of it, under the plastic cover, seems to be like a computer chip. It read the temperature to be 1.5 degree C below what it should be, but being unsure what was correct, I left it. I candled at 8 days and removed 1 blood ring and 3 clears. A week later and two hadn't developed, so took those out as well. By day 18, the manual said to make sure there was always water in the bator. I got the humidity right, according to my uncalibrated hygrometer. Not being able to see if I actually had water in the bator, as it doesn't have a window, I accidently over filled it and water flowed everywhere, so I gently put it on the floor to clean up. When I picked it up to put it back, water started to pour out of the bator, and when I automatically adjusted myself to stop the flow, the egga rolled down to one end. I put it back on the table and readjusted the eggs. So what a mess I made of it. I think I was lucky to get 50 percent hatch! Hatched on day 22. My question, is I got 5 unhatched, fully formed chicks. Do you think this was because the humidity was two high in the first 8 days, or because they got rolled after lockdown? What type of hygrometer do you recommend?. Here is a pick of four of the dead chicks after I took them out of their shells. Day 23,, yolk still attached, no smell. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi, I've never done anything like this on the internet before, so if I've not done this correctly, please let me know. I've also never incubated eggs until now, and have just joined this site because, you guessed it, I had problems. I'm hoping someone can help me as I would like to be able to get a better than 50 percentage hatch. I purchased a Jonel24 incubator from ebay. It came with a chinese english instruction book which I found difficult to understand. I turned it on but didn't understand callibration. My husband had a very old scientific thermometer and it was about 1 degree C less than what my bator read. The first 8 days I had the vent half closed. This produced condensation in the clear part of the bator. I started searching, and found I may have had the humidity too high. So I opened the vent fully and left it at that. I didn't know you had to buy a hygrometer until then. So I got one on ebay by which time the humidity had sorted itself out. I couldn't calibrate it because the end of it, under the plastic cover, seems to be like a computer chip. It read the temperature to be 1.5 degree C below what it should be, but being unsure what was correct, I left it. I candled at 8 days and removed 1 blood ring and 3 clears. A week later and two hadn't developed, so took those out as well. By day 18, the manual said to make sure there was always water in the bator. I got the humidity right, according to my uncalibrated hygrometer. Not being able to see if I actually had water in the bator, as it doesn't have a window, I accidently over filled it and water flowed everywhere, so I gently put it on the floor to clean up. When I picked it up to put it back, water started to pour out of the bator, and when I automatically adjusted myself to stop the flow, the egga rolled down to one end. I put it back on the table and readjusted the eggs. So what a mess I made of it. I think I was lucky to get 50 percent hatch! Hatched on day 22. My question, is I got 5 unhatched, fully formed chicks. Do you think this was because the humidity was two high in the first 8 days, or because they got rolled after lockdown? What type of hygrometer do you recommend?. Here is a pick of four of the dead chicks after I took them out of their shells. Day 23,, yolk still attached, no smell. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm on mobile, so looking at the pic is a bit difficult, but I would wager too high humidity and too low temps. With humidity too high, the egg does not lose enough moisture and mass, and the chick grows too large to be able to manipulate to break out. Candling the eggs along the way allows you to observe the air cell to determine if they are losing enough mass, and the air cells should increase (this gives the chick something to break into before hatching)
Too low temps cause delay in development and in turn, late hatches.

There are several hatching guides on this site, I would suggest finding some, and determining what works for you. I would highly recommend extra thermometers and hygrometers, tested for accuracy. Best of luck to you!

WVduckchick, thankyou so much for your help. I will do this next hatch. I appreciate your experience.

No problem! This site has tons of knowledgeable people (sometimes almost too much! haha) You will find conflicting information alot too, so don't get discouraged. Hatching is definitely trial and error in the beginning. Also one thing that I failed to mention... sometimes genetic weaknesses also cause DIS too, so it may not have been anything you did or didn't do. How are the other chicks doing now?

Back
Top Bottom