1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Eggyman!'s Gudie To Rasing Baby Chicks To Adult Roosters ,and Hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EGGYMAN!, Dec 30, 2011.

1. EGGYMAN!

EGGYMAN! In the Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    Step 1/ Must Already Have A Box Or Plastic Box With Heat Lamp /////non Red/////.step 2/ Must Have Chick Crumbles Or Flockrasier. Step 3/ Must Have Fresh Water At All Times. Step 4/ Must Already Have A Chick Waterer ,and Feeder / Step 5/ When Chicks Hatch Or Arrive In The Mail Take The Chicks Place Them Under Heat Lamp It Temp Must Be 90 To 100 In Temp. Step 6 / Must Bring Down Temp After 2 Weeks Bring Temp Ten Degrees From 100 To 90 Then The Next Week Bring The Temp Down Another 10 Degrees And Keep Doing So Until Room Temp. Step 7 Make Sure To Make A Chicken Coop Or Cage Or Buy Them Est Cost Of Chicken Coop That Hold Up To 6 Chickens. Least Amount Of Cost Would Cost Around $200.00 Or If You Make A Cage It Would Be A Lot Cheaper Than Buying A Cost A Lot Coop. [that Was Eggyman!'s Guide To Rasing Baby Chicks To Adult Hood] //////eggyman!'s Tip///////[do Not Keep 2 Or More Roosters Together Or They Will Fight To The Death]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Eggyman [​IMG]

Wow! My eyes did this when I clicked this thread-----> [​IMG] It is a bit hard to read.

It looks like you have the basics listed. Although some things will vary a bit from person to person. I see you specified no red lamps.....many of us use red to prevent the chicks from pecking.

The one point I strongly disagree on is the rooster tip. I have 7 roos. 5 freerange together, sleep together, and eat together. Apart from plucking a few tail feathers while they work the pecking order, they get along nicely. I think it depends on the personalities of the roosters involved.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  3. Arielle

Arielle Crowing

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks Eggy man!, it put a smile on my face., lol, to read thru the list. [​IMG] Nice and concise.

I prefer to not mess with the light. The chicks can move away from the light as they need to. Or decrease the temps by 5 degrees a week. I've done both.

My roosters generally get along. A few face to face stand offs. THey have plenty of space to call their own with their own group of girls. All LF; maybe that makes a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by