Eglu cube: opinions, thoughts?

Ventucky Chick

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2021
Hey there,

we fully planned to build our own run and purchase a coop to go inside but after waking up to a tree full of raccoons outside our door (chicks are still inside) I’m looking for most secure. We are def purchasing the Omlet run but now it seems for cleanliness and safety ot make sense to get the Eglu.

We weren’t planning to start spend $ but feel like this may be the most efficient time wise and safest for our girls.

What’s everyone’s thoughts? Experience? Feedback?

I know. That’s what brought me to post as well. I should’ve added that. It almost seems like we’d have to buy multiple.

This is the other one I’m looking at:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...qR32PaJ-DJ6bTI6LH9iHV39ggqT2UiqBoCia8QAvD_BwE
How many chicks do you have? The coop will hold 6 but the run will only hold 4. You would need to add ventilation and hardware cloth as those pesky racoons can reach through those openings. I would also add an anti dig apron.

Hey there,

we fully planned to build our own run and purchase a coop to go inside but after waking up to a tree full of raccoons outside our door (chicks are still inside) I’m looking for most secure. We are def purchasing the Omlet run but now it seems for cleanliness and safety ot make sense to get the Eglu.

We weren’t planning to start spend $ but feel like this may be the most efficient time wise and safest for our girls.

What’s everyone’s thoughts? Experience? Feedback?
I live in a rural area of NY and we have your typical predators. I do not recommend coops from tractor supply or these other places- I have heard horror stories from others, those who bought them say they which they didn’t. They don’t last long either. The money you would spend on one of the TS you would be better off trying to get a better coop. Also, Keep in mind of chicken math is real. If you are looking to get 10 chickens make sure your coop can hold 15-20.

I do; however, recommend TS chicken run producers pride pen.

Attachments

• A7255C7D-0E1E-4E89-BBF1-E7FA33931AF4.jpeg
    A7255C7D-0E1E-4E89-BBF1-E7FA33931AF4.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 59
Hello and welcome to BYC.

I would not buy any prefab coop. If there are any that actually meet the usual guidelines:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
and 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation (located above the chickens' heads when they're sitting on the roost), I am not aware of it's existence.

Eglus seem to be better-made than many pre-fabs, but they are tiny and very badly ventilated. The coop they claim holds 6 chickens actually has space only for 2 1/2 and is barely tall enough for an adult of one of the larger breeds to stand up in.

How many chickens were you planning on getting?

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters and different areas have different predators.

My Little Monitor Coop, which was designed to meet the minimums for 4 chickens, is 4'x4'x4'. :)

I know. That’s what brought me to post as well. I should’ve added that. It almost seems like we’d have to buy multiple.

This is the other one I’m looking at:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...qR32PaJ-DJ6bTI6LH9iHV39ggqT2UiqBoCia8QAvD_BwE
We bought the Sentinal coop and run that you linked. It’s worked for us - we do have to add hardware cloth on the first three feet of the run, we’re making a fenced area around it because it’s not big enough for six hens, and we have to bury hardware cloth to prevent diggers. As the manufactured coops go, the wood isn’t as great as what you’d get if you bought and built, but the cage area is very sturdy and it will work until we decide to spend a few weeks making our own.

I own a Eglu Cube and we have six chicks,they are not full size yet but my Easter Eggers and Golden Comets are medium breeds and judging by how big they will get when they are older they will fit in it. My girls love their Eglu Cube. They also have the six foot run and I open the bottom door for my chickens and they free range during the day and go back to their coop at night. I also have a dog that we are trying to train to be with the chickens and protect them and in the meantime when she trys to get the chickens when they are in the run she cant get to them because the run is very secure and we havent had any problems with it.

I own a Eglu Cube and we have six chicks,they are not full size yet but my Easter Eggers and Golden Comets are medium breeds and judging by how big they will get when they are older they will fit in it. My girls love their Eglu Cube. They also have the six foot run and I open the bottom door for my chickens and they free range during the day and go back to their coop at night. I also have a dog that we are trying to train to be with the chickens and protect them and in the meantime when she trys to get the chickens when they are in the run she cant get to them because the run is very secure and we havent had any problems with it.
In my experience, EEs are not medium breeds. Both of mine are very large

Back
Top Bottom