EGLU CUBE OWNERS!

josephrose

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
Delaware County
I badly want an Eglu Cube, and I've yet to find a single person who owns one and doesn't like it. I hope to have one by the end of this Summer (2013).

How many chickens do you have in yours?

How long have you had it now?

Any issues to be aware of?

Helpful tips, etc?

Last edited:
Yeah, I've seen a bunch. pretty scattered and many are kind of old.

Just looking for updated answers to these questions, in this one place. =)

I just bought one. I've been hesitating for years and years because of the price. If you are in the States it's also quite hard to actually GET one, especially if you live in the country.

They are not kidding when they say 5 large boxes. I ordered the Eglu Cube with the extended run. I had to rent a truck and that rental was a Toyota (the smaller one). The boxes filled up every inch of the space. Omlet only ships to Greyhound terminals, and then not all. There were two closer to me but the boxes would only be shipped to the main terminal in a big city an hour away from me. Sigh.

I will say that once the ordeal of paying for it (it hurts to spend that much money
wink.png
) and getting it to my home that it's a really great product. I moved my hens from their old home, which was a shed with chicken improvements and dog run, to the Cube. They are now enjoying being moved around the yard daily for fresh grass and the Cube is a breeze to clean.

I put the Cube together by myself and it took hours, but the instructions were clear, parts labeled correctly and only some minor frustrations caused by putting it together without four hands.

I think the Omlet company should have a regular franchise over here in the states, instead of shipping the product and holding them at a facility in the Mid-west. The delivery service (or lack thereof) would be absolutely the first thing I'd recommend changing.

Last edited:
I have had one for four years. My original review is here.

I'm still really happy with it. The most important thing to me is that it's easy to clean. I love that the trays just slide out from under the house for weekly cleaning (I line them with newspaper, so the droppings and paper just slide right off). It is easily disassembled and sprayed down for a deeper clean. The color has faded due to the punishing Southern California sun, but it's still a decent color, just not as bright. I have not had any leakage issues (but then again, this is Southern California and we don't get torrential rains).

I have the Eglu run as well, and I ended up getting 3 sections of run altogether. I have had as many as 5 chickens living in it; now we have 3. The Cube itself has plenty of room for 5 or 6 chickens, but the run is kind of tight for that many, so when I got to a point that I needed to keep them in the run rather than let them out during the day (we were having predator issues) I bought extra fence panels.

Best of luck with yours!

We just got our Cube and love it so far. I grabbed when they had a 10th Anniversary sale and it was 10% off. Right now it's set-up on our back porch acting as a brooder. We bought the extended run and as soon as the chicks are old enough we'll be relocating the Cube and run out to the backyard. Right now we have 6 chicks and unless we loose one I think that's enough for now (famous last words)!

We just got our Cube and love it so far. I grabbed when they had a 10th Anniversary sale and it was 10% off. Right now it's set-up on our back porch acting as a brooder. We bought the extended run and as soon as the chicks are old enough we'll be relocating the Cube and run out to the backyard. Right now we have 6 chicks and unless we loose one I think that's enough for now (famous last words)!
SlowQueen, you're right, the Cube makes the most amazing brooder ever! So easy to keep clean! We moved our ducklings out to the cube at about 4 weeks old, it was just sooo much easier than keeping them in the house any longer. I feel like this is an insider secret that more people should be made aware of!

I ordered my cube back in March. It took about a month to get to me in Northern Cali, but that was because I originally said I'd wait for one of the new colors (orange) and then ultimately switched to Red to get it here in time for our ducks. Yes, we are keeping Ducks in our cube. Four huge Pekins to be exact. We do not use the roosting bars at all but keep pine shavings spread throughout the entire interior (had to tape some plastic over the bottom vent in the normal "nesting box" area to keep the bedding from falling through). And then we modified the ladder into a ramp. We also do not use the run at all, but keep our Cube within a dog kennel/run, where the ducks spend most their time. They go in and out of the cube as they please, depending on the weather and time of day.

Delivery/Pick up was indeed a pain in the a**! But all in all it was worth it, I have no complaints. I will say, I wound't comfortably keep more than 6 ducks in there, tops-- But again my Pekins are HUGE, so I would imagine that translates to about 8-10 chickens.

Here are some pics!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom