Eglu Cube Pros and Cons?

0ADF10E6-758C-4BC8-AE97-FCBDFDFB713F.jpeg 65EA8B4B-2DBA-431F-B1AB-579679C94EED.jpeg
Forgot to post these. It’s working great essentialually I’ll be putting clear Polly on the coop for winter.

The birds have done very well in my set up. we have had loads of wind this winter. I covered the a frame with poly and left plenty of ventilation. I also purchased an Eglu winter ventilated blanket for the cube. I used sand and cut straw on the ground and heated the water. The birds have produced eggs all winter and are very healthy and happy. I have mucked out the cube weekly and the run several time. Looking forward to moving the birds to some new grass when things dry up.

I do feel the Cube is grossly over priced but I purchased the cube mostly for what I perceive to be ease of cleaning, ability to move to fresh green spaces and hopefully keeping my birds safe from predators.

Ditto!

I really did not like my wooden coops always being wet.

We're at the other end of the temperature spectrum, with a lot of strong sun that dries wooden stuff out and makes maintenance a continual pain.

To answer your questions:

We have an Eglu cube. I'm very happy with it, overall, though like you I find it overpriced.

PROS:
  • Easy to clean and keep clean.
  • Easy to move, even with a 4m run (with two people).
  • Easy to dismantle.
  • Possible to place on somewhat uneven, sloped ground (as opposed to a rigid coop, hoop or A-frame.)
  • Better for a hot sunny climate than wood (in terms of maintenance & practicality).
CONS:
  • Nesting box the same height as roosting area.
  • Expensive! Accessories are equally pricey.
I'd prefer if it the roosting area were a little bit larger. Also, I have the Mk1 and I do prefer the Mk2's improved design where you can close the nesting box off from the roosting area.

Does the eglu have a roost?

I actually forked out for an Eglu roosting stick, to place in the run. Like most Eglu things, it is overpriced but well designed and works well. Our climate is hot in the summer / mild in the winter (no snow) so they are out in the run the whole year round.

The birds have done very well in my set up. we have had loads of wind this winter. I covered the a frame with poly and left plenty of ventilation.

I'd like to see some pictures, if you have any!

Do have any tips regarding the Eglu in windy conditions? Ours was blown away in a particularly windy storm. Perhaps it being on a slope was a factor, plus the plastic coverings I had on the run probably acted as sails... I also think we chose the wrong location and that the wind got funnelled into that area (because of the lay of the land) making it particularly severe. We weren't home though, so I don't know.

Last edited:
80FAE357-64E5-4A37-9C92-E9166DD5379C.jpeg
'd like to see some pictures, if you have any!

Do have any tips regarding the Eglu in windy conditions? Ours was blown away in a particularly windy storm. Perhaps it being on a slope was a factor, plus the plastic coverings I had on the run probably acted as sails... I also think we chose the wrong location and that the wind got funnelled into that area (because of the lay of the land) making it particularly severe. We weren't home though, so I don't know.

Sorry to say I didn’t take pictures of the snow. As a matter of fact I’m disappointed with myself. Pictures would have been a great reminder. Nearing 62 the old mind is getting forgetful lol. I will post a picture of a snow storm from few years back. Living on the coast we could receive rain, freezing rain and snow with every or any winter storm. We could see +5c and drop to -25c in less than 24 hours.

I too worried about the wind flipping the cube but it seems we have just enough shelter. For the most part my cube has been frozen in place.

The first snow of the year is great but it gets old real quick lol!
The plus NO FLIES! Lots of babies are conceived in the winter months :lau:ya
My granddaughters were both born in September the math says they were an early Christmas gift lololololol

I have a Cube with a 3 meter run. My 4 girls love it and it was much bigger and roomier than I thought it would be. No regrets (other than the money - ouch!)

Hi! Are you still having success with this? Are you hens bigger or small? I'm so sad to have to move my girls at all, and this feels like a risk -- tho it's cute as a button and I like all the convenience. I just don't want them to me unhappy because of no space. (They don't hang in their huge coop now tho, usually only to sleep.)

Any follow up thoughts or advice? How do you feel about the bib? It looks to small to be useful in the photos. Any trouble with foxes digging under?

I can add I still love my cube it has the 3 meter run. If the cube is going to be stationary for the winter I HIGHLY recommend adding the extra pen as my pictures in the earlier post reflect. For the winter I covered the run and extra pen with heavy poly. I used 6 inches of sand and placed chopped straw on top. Every week I raked out the old straw and droppings and replaced with fresh straw. Of coarse one must leave plenty of ventilation. I had 5 barnyard hens the smallest was a blue laying EE. If the only space you have is the 3 meters I would suggest only 3 large hens. My birds only sleep and lay in the Eglu cube. Spring, summer and fall my birds free range 2 -4 hours per day.

I can add I still love my cube it has the 3 meter run. If the cube is going to be stationary for the winter I HIGHLY recommend adding the extra pen as my pictures in the earlier post reflect. For the winter I covered the run and extra pen with heavy poly. I used 6 inches of sand and placed chopped straw on top. Every week I raked out the old straw and droppings and replaced with fresh straw. Of coarse one must leave plenty of ventilation. I had 5 barnyard hens the smallest was a blue laying EE. If the only space you have is the 3 meters I would suggest only 3 large hens. My birds only sleep and lay in the Eglu cube. Spring, summer and fall my birds free range 2 -4 hours per day.

Just wondering about your Eglu Cube setup, and how many chickens you have in it. Your post had a lot of information and it was very helpful to me. I'm new to chicken keeping, and this is the coop I decided to get. We got the 9 foot run and will be building a larger, covered run for the hens before the winter kicks in. We're in Lake Erie's snowbelt in Ohio, so there will be a lot of snow to deal with.

We've ordered 4 chicks--a Dominique, a Buckeye, a White Rock, and a Wyandotte. I just started reading Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens and they suggest getting an extra chick in case of health problems or chick death. I'm worried, though, that the Eglu Cube won't be big enough if all 5 chicks were to survive.

How many chickens did you end up housing in your Cube? Do you feel it's enough room for your flock, especially with the attached run?

Thanks again for all the wonderful information in this thread! You've been a big help!

Back
Top Bottom