Egyptian Fayoumi cockerel or pullet?

feather13

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 4, 2012
southern california
We got two Egyptian Fayoumi chicks that are now 10 weeks old from McMurrays. They are an interesting breed. Very Jurassic Park-style vocals and flighty, but also very alert, beautiful, and (hopefully) resistant to Mareks (which we have in our flock).

I noticed this morning that the larger one was chasing our 10 week old Crevecoeur cockerel around (see photo). I'm wondering if it might be a cockerel. It's much larger than the other EF. Is anyone familiar with this breed and can you tell its gender?

We're not zoned for roosters, although some people have them in our neighborhood. I'm wondering if we'll keep both (we have 2 laying hens and 12 chicks) or rehome one. If we rehome, which would you keep? The Crevecoeur isn't super friendly, but he'll let me pet him. The EF isn't human aggressive, but it goes bonkers when we get close to it and acts like it's being tortured if we hold it. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Attachments

• IMG_6703.jpeg
    IMG_6703.jpeg
    935.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6708.jpeg
    IMG_6708.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6709.jpeg
    IMG_6709.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6710.jpeg
    IMG_6710.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6713.jpeg
    IMG_6713.jpeg
    859.6 KB · Views: 19
@OneHappyRooster and @sourland : WHEW! Thank you so much! I had asked this same question weeks ago, but wanted to make sure because there's such a size difference between the two EFs and this is the first time we've had this breed. I've never felt so conflicted about a chicken breed's temperament before LOL.

I guess she's just an aggressive girl. I'm a fan of aggressive girls of all kinds, but hope she doesn't turn into a bully 😲

Pullet.

Keep whichever cockerel you are more attached to.

If your flock carries Marek's, make sure that any potential buyers are well aware of that.

Yes, FOR SURE! Marek's is really common where we live in southern California, unfortunately. I would *definitely* let anyone know the full history of any bird we give away that has left the indoor brooder box. We never let anyone who has chickens go near our coop or run because this is such a terrible disease. All of this order of chicks were vaccinated, but I know the vaccine is controversial and the chickens can still infect others that don't have the virus.

She is just a dominant pullet. I would keep the Crevecoeur because they are a rare and endangered breed. And plus, they are black and have devil horns!

Back
Top Bottom