Egyptian Geese

PrinceSandwich

Songster
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Do Egyptian Geese need swimming water? How are they kept differently than domestic geese?
Do they need more space than domestic geese? Do you need a permit to own them?

They are really more closely related to shelducks than true geese. They are a grazer, so water is not a major problem, but like all waterfowl, they will look and be in much better condition with at least some swimming warm to get it, it triggers their instinct to preen and clean themselves. If no water at all is provided, feather quality can go down. But you dont need massive amounts for them. To me, there's nothing similar about them to domestics, though they are fairly easy to keep, do breed well and arent too expensive. They dont need huge pens, though they are a bigger bird so dont cramp them, 15x 15 would be good for a apir to start, cares pretty much the same as any other species. No permits are required here in the states for them as they are a foreign species. Local laws may require game bird permits, or breeder permits, but the bird itself isnt protected. Get you some, you'll love them. Saw some the other day for just $80 a pr.

Last edited:
Mine are turned loose on the front acre with the swans....( they are all pinioned,) and they love it running around. I have a small pond they love walking around and swimming in, although they spend most of their time around the edge of it. I would like to get some more, they are so pretty and for geese..... they are really quiet. I only hear the occasional honk out of them.

Do any of you have photos of your Egyptian Geese?

I'm editing to say, Chickenzoo, I just got back from looking at all your great photos. I get nothing though, when I click on black Swans, African Cranes, or Egyptian Geese. Perhaps you're in the process of upgrading those pages?

Last edited:
i've been considering egyptians for quite a while now. I haven't seen many for sale, though.

Years ago.. yeah like 10-15 years ago we had a flock of 15-20 that flew in from somewhere. We had no clue what they were. They are pretty though.

LOL, yep i have to add photos..

7205_egyptian_geese_swimming1.jpg

7205_egswim4.jpg

7205_egyptian_geese_swimming_2.jpg

7205_egshake1.jpg

7205_egdone.jpg

Quote:
So do Shelducks need pretty much the same care as Egyptians?

Yep, they are aggressive though, so shelducks need to be housed in separate pens with just one pair per pen. They are the meanest duck out there. The radjah and europeans I had were pretty nice and did do well in community pens, but the others were pretty darn bad.

They too can take or leave water, though some is always nice for any waterfowl.
If you look at a shelduck and an egyptian side by side, you can see just how similar they are, long legs aside on the egyptians, they are pretty much a shelduck, not a true goose.

Most shelducks are burrow nester though in nature, where the others arent . What I always did for the was bury a 5 gallon bucket full of holes(to let rain out)
leaving the mouth end open, make a great make shift burrow for them, and they'd always use them. If not, they will just nest on the ground like any other ground nesting species.

they both love to graze, lay quite well, and shelducks do make excellent parents, nothings gonna mess with thier babies.

A good gamebird or waterfowl diet is best, both love floating catfish feed as daily treats (well all waterfowl does really)
and all stay in color year round

Back
Top Bottom