Egyptian Roo killed, can I feed him to the dogs?

Why not feed the whole carcass ? Dogs are carnivores and scavengers, so any carcass is fair game. My farm dogs ( 2 purebred Boxers, Blue Healer) eat any dead small animal ( rabbit, ground squirrel, mouse, vole, gopher , etc.) that they find out in the fields. Also they relish and scarf down horse, cow, sheep, rabbit, chicken, duck poo all the time whenever they come accross it afterall. I just worm the dogs about 4 times a year. They are as healthy as they come. The only concern would be if they kill a chicken once, they may kill another again.

"Why not feed the whole carcass ? Dogs are carnivores and scavengers, so any carcass is fair game. "
Three reasons.First is that I have three dogs and two of them are little toy dogs that can't manage a large chicken, they need small bits taken off and a bit of meat sort of started for them. If the bone is large I usually crush it a little, too, since they have trouble with most bones, other than the breast bones or wings. The other reason is that I prefer them to not think they can eat a feathered chicken that looks just like the chickens in the yard. If it's prepared for them to eat in pieces, with feathers removed, just like their regular meals, it's becomes like all the normal dinners. Hopefully it's not associated with the chickens running around in the backyard, but with somethin "momma" prepared from the refrigerator. They know their meals come from the refrigerator. My Doberman acted like she didn't know what to do with a dead chicken and I'd like to keep it that way.
She definitely knows what to do with a piece of raw chicken meat.
Finally, my Doberman is always on a diet. Even a smaller chicken like my Egyptian can feed these three dogs for two to three days. My Doberman does not need to be eating that much in one setting, although I'm sure shed tell you she needs all that food!

I was wondering how you could be sure it was your dog that killed it and not something else, a cat maybe? Before everyone condemns the dog as a chicken killer maybe we think of other posabilities.

I would be concerned with feeding them the entrails and such, so once its thawed and you get everything out I agree, if it smells fine and you believed the bird to be healthy enough for you go ahead.

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, my dogs haven't eaten dog food in about a year, either. They eat meat, bones, organs. Nothing else except the occasional fruit or veggie when I'm cutting things in the kitchen. And, I seriously doubt they recognize the chicken from the freezer as the same birds as the ones running around in the backyard. I think this roo just happened to jump into the wrong place at the wrong time. My Doberman has been in their yard countless times but they've never been in her yard.

I did the old "tie the dead chicken around the neck" trick on my lab that I caught red handed a few weeks ago... Left the chicken on him until there was nothing left while he was ostracized to the backyard (with ready access to food and water though) ... The ordeal went on for about 48 hours. The son of a B went out two days later and killed a RIR, while unsupervised .. So it's not 100% effective.. I will tell you one thing though... If I so much as have a feather in my hand, he runs and hides... I guess that he just hasn't made the connection that he's not supposed to kill chickens even when i'm not around.

The problem has now been solves with rail ties and hotwire..

Before everyone gets preachy about having him put down, trust me I seriously considered it.. But he is my 1 year-old son's best friend..

That being said, I will agree with not rewarding even a suspected chicken killer a fresh meal of what he wasn't supposed to kill in the first place... For the record and from what you say, I don't think your dobie killed the chicken either.. He may have been bringing him to you like "look what that danged cat did !" ..

I feed my dogs the fat and bad parts off off chicken all the time and they could care less about my flock..
My youngest GSD use to eat the tail end out of chickens (caught him about 3 times doing it) and get to their organs. He was a young pup then but hasnt so much as looked at a chicken since his younger days.

....well I take that back. I have a little scrappy bantam rooster that attacks his own reflection. He has put the fear of God in my GSDs
lol.png

Quote:
Dogs should not have cooked bones but raw is actually good for them. They eat raw meat and bones in the wild all the time.
smile.png

I would process the chicken and feed it to the dogs, I actually gave mine a carcass left from my dinner last night. I took all the meat off the bones. She loves it and doesn't try to kill my chickens because of it but more out of a natural instinct. She has never once killed one but has eaten some that we have processed.

Back
Top Bottom