Eight-year old Welsummer with possible gout

Update on Millie my gouty, arthritic Welsummer. She's been very depressed, not eating much or even drinking much. She gets herself onto the roost at night, but I can tell it takes everything she has in her to do it. In the morning, I lift her off the perch since dismounting would be excruciating when landing on that toe.

Aspirin hasn't really done much for her. This morning, it dawned on me to try steroids. I have some Prednisone I got from a friend, and I gave her about 12 mg. By afternoon, the transformation was very noticeable. Milly had voluntarily left her favorite cushion (yes, my chickens have cushions) and was walking around and eagerly eating and drinking.

I plan on doing this same dose for three or four days total and then pause for a week, and maybe do it again. I'm not expecting a cure, but this could make her more comfortable until she decides she's too old to go on living. If she follows my flock averages, it could be two or three more years.

How has Millie fared since you treated with steroids? Did you find any other supportive care measures that worked better than aspirin?

Back
Top Bottom