Electric fence or barbed wire for emus?

Ella2710

Chirping
May 6, 2020
Minnesota
I keep my emu with my chickens, and she rammed the fence and was running free! Then my giant dog (saint bernard) chimed in and started chasing her! It was a disaster...anyways I need to think about fencing before this happens again, and was wondering if electric fence will stop her? Or if anyone has other ideas? Thanks guys, any opinions welcome, I just need some suggestions!
20200507_122355.jpg

I love emus! I've only ever met one, though. I would suggest something other than electric fence or barbed wire in case she gets stuck. I have experience with chickens getting stuck, but no emu experience whatsoever. Try cattle panels. Hope that helps!

Neither barbed wire nor electric fence. Emus ignore electric for the most part and can seriously injure themselves on barbed wire.

What's your current fence like? Emus need a fence usually at least six feet tall, and made out of decently strong material. I use welded wire.

I keep my emu with my chickens, and she rammed the fence and was running free! Then my giant dog (saint bernard) chimed in and started chasing her! It was a disaster...anyways I need to think about fencing before this happens again, and was wondering if electric fence will stop her? Or if anyone has other ideas? Thanks guys, any opinions welcome, I just need some suggestions!View attachment 2127260
That's so cool! I have never heard of anyone keeping an emu for a pet before! I used to see wild emus everyday in fields, but I have no idea if they are around now because COVID-19 has kept me in the house.

Neither barbed wire nor electric fence. Emus ignore electric for the most part and can seriously injure themselves on barbed wire.

What's your current fence like? Emus need a fence usually at least six feet tall, and made out of decently strong material. I use welded wire.
Because we keep her with our chickens, she has tall 7 ft fencing made of chicken mesh fence, but the chicken run isn't going to keep her forever and she needs more space. I plan on giving her a large one and a half acre field, but wanted to be efficient on cost as well.

I keep my emu with my chickens, and she rammed the fence and was running free! Then my giant dog (saint bernard) chimed in and started chasing her! It was a disaster...anyways I need to think about fencing before this happens again, and was wondering if electric fence will stop her? Or if anyone has other ideas? Thanks guys, any opinions welcome, I just need some suggestions!View attachment 2127260
[/Q UOTE]
Hi doubt that electric fence will do the job,..but never , never use barbed wire as they are fence walkers and could easily get hurt. I use 6ft 2x2 mesh all round, so they cant get caught with legs like sheep netting..hope this helps. Calla

Back
Top Bottom