electric fencing

eastercreek

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Benton, LA
We are considering running electric fencing around the base of the outside of our run to give any potential predators at a scare if they touch it. However...if a chicken happens to poke her head out of out 2x4 welded wire fence will it hurt them that bad? I have been shocked a dozen times by these fences but I am a lot bigger than a chicken!

It won't kill them. I free range everyday so I turn it off when they leave the coop in the morning & turn it back on when they roost at night.

You can buy a fence charger with a smaller amount of ZAP (technical word, right there!). Mine is a mega-charger meant for obese ponies who try to lean over the fence to eat grass that they should not have, so it packs a major punch. The little garden ones aren't bad at all, i can grab those and it just produces a slightly uncomfortable feeling. Enough to deter things smarter than myself, apparently! I don't go near my current fence without it unplugged, because that charger will literally knock me off my feet.

I have a twin wire about 6" off the ground and another about 4' off the ground around my coop. Periodically everything gets shocked around here - chickens, kids, dogs, cats, me, etc. It isn't a problem and doesn't hurt...much. I had a three week old chick get shocked the other day. It was fine!

I have a small charger like this one. The birds don't seem to mind it at all. They've always got their heads through the fence. A lot of modern chargers, including this one, only pulse. They're not always on. The idea is that once the pulse is off, the animal will react and move away from the fence before the situation becomes grave. I get shocked a couple of times a week b/c I'm too lazy to throw the cut-off switch. My kids have gotten it once or twice. No big deal, but it has seemed effective with dogs, skunks, racoons, etc.

Back
Top Bottom