Electric netting height

I use the 42 in. Where birds actually attempt to get out of the pen is where they can fly up and land on a solid surface. Not once have I ever seen any of my birds attempt to fly over the net. So the gates that you build to enter and exit your pen will need to be high to prevent that.

I use the 42 in. Where birds actually attempt to get out of the pen is where they can fly up and land on a solid surface. Not once have I ever seen any of my birds attempt to fly over the net. So the gates that you build to enter and exit your pen will need to be high to prevent that.
They make gates for the netting bg now, too. Actual gates that are electric. I've got 2 on order.

I use 42” poultry netting.
I don’t have a real gate - I disconnect the fence from the power and then lift the last post and walk through. The only pain is I can only get through at the end of the fence but it works fine.

Anyone have any experience with a 42" vs 48" with regards to keeping predators out?
I've only used the 48" so no direct comparison with the 42". If you are considering buying from Premiere1 I'd call them and chat with them. I've found them to be helpful when I called them.

While many predators "can" jump over a 48" fence, they generally don't. Whether they are dogs, coyote, foxes, raccoons, or anything else they practically always check out the fence first. Their fur insulates them from the electricity but their noses and the bottom of their feet are not fur covered or insulated. With electric netting the soil is your ground and the netting has hot wires. To complete the electric circuit the critter has to be touching the ground with their feet and touch a hot wire with their nose, tongue, or another foot. Practically any critter will check out the netting with nose or a climbing critter rears up and touches it with their front feet. Some people have been known to put some peanut butter on a hot wire to encourage licking.

If a critter gets zapped it immediately runs away. Some may only run a certain distance and my even go back for a second attempt (not a third) but most disappear in the distance. There is something satisfying in seeing a dog approach the netting, yelp and jump back, then disappear in the distance, never to return.

Most chickens can fly over a 48" high fence. Many predators can jump over a 48" high fence. But they generally don't.

Back
Top Bottom